Won't Open in Mac Standard Account

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

musbox8
Ear training enthusiast

Won't Open in Mac Standard Account

Post by musbox8 » Aug 16, 2009 9:43 pm

We have Earmaster School and it refuses to open under a Standard Account. It will open under Administrator accounts. I'm not about to give students administrative access to our computers. How do we fix this? I need an answer soon as classes have already begun.

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Aug 17, 2009 12:19 am

Hello,

In the "Tools/System administration" you have an option to "Use Windows/OS X login" - if you uncheck this option, EarMaster will popup with a login window each time the program starts up, and ask for a user name and a password.

Best regards,
Normann

musbox8
Ear training enthusiast

Post by musbox8 » Aug 17, 2009 5:16 am

I tried that. It never gets that far. Double-clicking the program produces absolutely no response. That also works in the account with administrative privileges, but not in the standard account

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Aug 17, 2009 6:11 am

Ah, when you setup users account on networks, make sure the users have read and write permissions for their shared folder (ex. to /Users/Shared/EarMaster/5.0/).

Otherwise users can't save results, statistics, settings, etc., and the application won't work.

Best regards,
Normann

musbox8
Ear training enthusiast

Post by musbox8 » Aug 17, 2009 8:37 am

Permissions for Owner, Group, & Everyone were already set to Read/Write on all folders in the Shared folder. Earmaster will not open.

Earmaster is installed locally on lab machines. Students use a generic local user account to login

System OSX 10.5.7 iMacs Intel Core Duo. 2 GB RAM

musbox8
Ear training enthusiast

Post by musbox8 » Aug 17, 2009 5:41 pm

We need to get this solved. I've got teachers giving assignments on the program and students can't open it. When we try to open EM in the account with standard privileges, we see the little open graphic burst, the dock shifts slightly and then it shuts right down. Obviously it's looking for a something that standard accounts can't access. I've searched for anything that might be related to EM, but come up empty. Is EM putting hidden files on our computers? If so, where is it and where can I move? BTW, we are at GMT +8.

We run all programs local, so I do not want to run it off of the server.

I appreciate your prompt attention to this.

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Aug 18, 2009 12:33 am

Hi, that's strange - if you need a quick solution, try and install the program with the generic local user account. It will ask for admin password, if needed, to permit installation - this will make sure, the installation is for the user account, and the admins will still be able to launch the program as well.

If this do not work for you, write to us at support mail - you find the mail address in "About us / Contact".

Best regards,
Normann

musbox8
Ear training enthusiast

Post by musbox8 » Aug 24, 2009 8:13 pm

Ok, that works. But it's very strange and also a bit of a pain as we have to delete the program and reinstall it on all of the computers in the lab. Also, I have no idea if it will work with when we create a new image. When the program is installed, is it placing files anywhere but in the Applications folder? I'd sure like a quicker solution than having to install the program twice on each machine. It also seems backwards to install a program in a limited account in order for all users to be able to run it.

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Aug 25, 2009 1:43 am

Hi again.
After closer inspection one permission bit for other users was omitted for a file - this will be fixed for the next update. Until then, you can execute a change mode command from a Terminal prompt:

chmod 777 "/Applications/EarMaster School.app/Contents/MacOS/ear50s_mac"

For Pro or Essential versions of the program change the "School"-part with "Pro" or "Essential".

Best regards,
Normann

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » Sep 11, 2009 1:37 am

This problem has now been fixed in the latest update. If you experience this problem, please download the latest version of EarMaster from this site.

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen
EarMaster