Singing interval does not pick up my singing

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

joyjane1029
Ear training apprentice

Singing interval does not pick up my singing

Post by joyjane1029 » Nov 30, 2009 3:27 pm

I went thru the microphone tuning wizard step by step. I sang to microphone on the singing interval exercise, I know I sang on tune but Earmaster does not pick it up. Nothing shown that I am singing the right note...I clicked on show answer and it always says my answer is wrong...???? I clicked my answer, it does not show any thing...???

I even clicked on the microphone icon on the bottom of the snging interval page and it does not help.

How do I make the singing interval exercise works with the microphone????

Thanks a million.
joyjane1028

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Dec 01, 2009 1:52 am

When the microphone is active, you should be able to see the peak meter next to the microphone icon respond. When you sing a note hit the "Ctrl" key, and the note will be inserted.

Or hold your tone until EarMaster picks it up, and insert it automatically. You can set the timing for holding a tone in "Program settings > Effects / Microphone".

Best regards,
Normann

joyjane1028
Ear training enthusiast

Post by joyjane1028 » Dec 03, 2009 11:34 am

I did hit the "Ctrl" key but it still does not work?????

joyjane1028
Ear training enthusiast

Post by joyjane1028 » Dec 03, 2009 11:41 am

Normann wrote:When the microphone is active, you should be able to see the peak meter next to the microphone icon respond. When you sing a note hit the "Ctrl" key, and the note will be inserted.

Or hold your tone until EarMaster picks it up, and insert it automatically. You can set the timing for holding a tone in "Program settings > Effects / Microphone".

Best regards,
Normann
(1) You said, "When the microphone is active...", and I did go thru the microphone tuning wizard so I consider it is active. Or, you meant something else?

When I am on the interval singing page, I clicked on the microphone icon on the bottom, but nothing happened.

HOW DO I KNOW IF THE MICROPHONE IS ACTIVE?

THANKS.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Dec 04, 2009 2:39 am

To make sure the microphone is active, the green level meter next to the micophone icon (at the bottom right of the screen) should be moving when you are singing, and a tuner interface should be displayed at the upper left part of the program. On top of that, the tones you are singing should be displayed on the staff and on the tuner interface I just referred to.

If this is not the case, maybe you haven't switched on the microphone answer input option. To do that, simply click on the microphone icon at the bottom right of the screen or select "microphone" in the answer input menu.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

joyjane1028
Ear training enthusiast

Post by joyjane1028 » Dec 04, 2009 12:39 pm

Quentin wrote:To make sure the microphone is active, the green level meter next to the micophone icon (at the bottom right of the screen) should be moving when you are singing, and a tuner interface should be displayed at the upper left part of the program. On top of that, the tones you are singing should be displayed on the staff and on the tuner interface I just referred to.

If this is not the case, maybe you haven't switched on the microphone answer input option. To do that, simply click on the microphone icon at the bottom right of the screen or select "microphone" in the answer input menu.
(1) I did switch the answer input option.
(2) The green level meter is moving when I sing
EatMaster just does not pick up my answer.

(3) Where is the tuner interface? I looked at the left part of the prgram, can't find the tuner interface you mentioned. How does it look like?

Thanks.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Dec 07, 2009 3:16 am

The tuner is a square shape with a gray half circle and 2 brown upper corners. It just looks like a good old fashioned tuner screen, with a bar moving from both sides according to the pitches you are singing.

When you are going through the different steps of the microphone tuning wizard, at one point you have to sing into the microphone and see whether the tones you are singing are displayed by the program. If this has been calibrated correctly in the tuning wizard there is absolutely no reason that it wouldn't be working in the interval training exercise. :-)

joyjane1028
Ear training enthusiast

Post by joyjane1028 » Dec 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Quentin wrote:The tuner is a square shape with a gray half circle and 2 brown upper corners. It just looks like a good old fashioned tuner screen, with a bar moving from both sides according to the pitches you are singing.

When you are going through the different steps of the microphone tuning wizard, at one point you have to sing into the microphone and see whether the tones you are singing are displayed by the program. If this has been calibrated correctly in the tuning wizard there is absolutely no reason that it wouldn't be working in the interval training exercise. :-)
I still can't find the tuner. I looked at each icon on top carefully, can't find the square shape thing you are talking about. Can you post a picture here for us to see? Thanks.

joyjane1028
Ear training enthusiast

Post by joyjane1028 » Dec 07, 2009 4:48 pm

Here are the steps I have followed from the Microphone tunning wizard:

(1)
It asks me to clap my hands, I did and the peak meter moves up & down.

(2)It asks me to Sing a tone
I did. Again, the peak meter moves excitedly up and down. There is a black box in the middle of the screen doing nothing.

(3)It asks me “are tone recognize precisely”?
This I can’t answer because there was no other tones were showing. I don’t know what “other tones” EarMaster” was referring to.

I saw a black box again

(4) Advance setting
I skipped this step.

(5) EarMaster asks me to clap my hands again. I did. It jumps from one square box to another…happily without problems.

Sensitivity: it was set on high

And then, it says "finished".

Please review and see If I have followed EarMaster's set-up wizard correctly. Thanks.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Dec 08, 2009 2:25 am

In 2) and 3) the box in the middle is displaying the tones you are singing. If it isn't, you must adjust the parameters until the correct tones or shown.

By "Other Tones", the program means tones that are not those you are singing. If you are singing a C and the program is displying C# or D, then you should adjust the sensitivity and the way harmonics are recognized.

Step 3 and 4 are very important (correspond to 2) and 3) in your previous post). If the tones you are singing aren't displayed in the center box, then something is not set up right.

Let us know how this works out. :-)

joyjane1028
Ear training enthusiast

Post by joyjane1028 » Dec 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Quentine, you are so right. :-) The middle box does not display the tone I am singing. Acutally the middle box is all black. I only see that the peak meter moving up and down.

However, on the "Clap your hands" page, when I sing, I see the small black box changes color from black to green. Is this the page you are referring to? (There are about 10 little black boxes in the middle fo the page.)

Now, I guess we found out where the problem is. Something is not set up correctly. May I know what could that possibly be?

Thanks a million. :-)

joyjane1028
Ear training enthusiast

Have you guys forgotten me?

Post by joyjane1028 » Dec 15, 2009 1:47 pm

I have not received any response or answe to my Interval singing problems for the last whole week. Have you guys forgotten me? Help, please. :help:

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Dec 17, 2009 3:58 am

Is the box completely black, or is it with a light blue background and a hyphen in the middle.

I don't quite understand why you are having so much difficulty setting up the microphone input, since the tuning wizard is rather explicit and we are getting it to work with a $5 headset here at the office (just to make sure it works even with the lowest quality microphones).

Have oyu managed to record your voice in the Windows sound recorder (or any other sound recording program)? If the mic works in Windows, it will work in EarMaster. Make also sure that the mic input volume (recording volume) is high enough (you can check that by clicking on "Windows Mixer" in EarMaster's microphone tuning wizard.

Regards,
Quentin