microsoft gs wavetable sw synth does not play midi sounds

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

Jerry Sabatini
Ear training rookie

microsoft gs wavetable sw synth does not play midi sounds

Post by Jerry Sabatini » Jun 04, 2010 6:41 am

I've been at this for a while now trying to confirm sound card volume and mute settings for SW synth. I still can't get any midi sounds to work.
I'm running XP Pro SP3.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jun 04, 2010 6:57 am

Have you tried another SW from the list of MIDI playback devices? (From XP's cotrol panel @sounds>Audio)
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Jerry Sabatini
Ear training rookie

Post by Jerry Sabatini » Jun 04, 2010 7:05 am

GS Wavetable seems to be my only option

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jun 07, 2010 12:54 am

Hi again,

If GS is visible in the list, you will be able hear sounds.

I found this step-by-step guide for "repairing" MIDI playback set up in Windows in an earlier thread of the support forum. Please try to follow it, as volume and sound device settings are quite tricky in Windows XP:

"In Windows XP, go to the start menu and open "Control Panel".

Go to "Sound properties"

Make sure that "MIDI playback" is set to your soundcard.

Click on "volume..." and make sure the SW Synth is not muted (silent) and that the volume is not at zero.

In that same mixer window, click on ""properties" form the top menu (under File I think) to open the master volume mixer. Once again, check that SW Synth is not muted or that its volume is not at 0.

If you are running Windows Vista or 7, you can't do these adjustments, so you will have to control that from inside EarMaster: go to the TOOLS>Program Settings menu and click on the "MIDI Devices" tab. Make sure that the volume is not at zero, and that the chosen MIDI OUTPUT is playing sounds when you click on the "Play" button next to it. If it is not playing sounds, choose another MIDI OUTPUT from the list."
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Jerry Sabatini
Ear training rookie

Post by Jerry Sabatini » Jun 07, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks for getting back to me, but GS is still not working. I have tried your suggestions and have even uninstalled and resinstalled Ear Master. Would you suggest I install a new GS driver? I'm grasping at straws at this point.

I do have a friend with XP who is running Ear Master fine. I am going to start comparing our environments to see if anything is different.

Can you suggest anything else?

Thank you!

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Jun 09, 2010 12:31 am

Hi,

We had some issues with muted SW Synth on some system in earlier versions of EarMaster. Could you tell me the build number of your EarMaster? You can find the build number in the Help menu under "About EarMaster..."

The latest released build number for Windows is 624xx (the x's is for Pro, School, or Essential version).

Best regards,
Normann, EarMaster