MIDI Keyboard Octave Issue...

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

neon10th
Ear training freshman

MIDI Keyboard Octave Issue...

Post by neon10th » Jul 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi I have a problem with the midi keyboard input specifically with the interval identification exercises. It seems as though when I use a MIDI keyboard to input my answers the tone produced from my keyboard is an octave higher than it should be. For example, when a major 3rd interval is asked, I press the corresponding key and it sounds like a major 9th interval yet it is still marked correct as a major 3rd interval. Does anyone know the solution? This only happens with the guitar. With the piano and the guitar, everything is an octave higher so the guitar sounds oddly high.

By the way I am on Windows XP 32bit with a Cakewalk A-800PRO MIDI keyboard.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jul 30, 2010 2:51 am

Hi,
I've sent your question forward to Hans, as he is currently out of the office. He'll come back to you as soon as possible.
Best regards,
Quentin
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » Aug 10, 2010 2:16 am

The guitar is set to sound one octave lower than the notated tone. This is normal practice to get the correct sound for the guitar.
When using MIDI in, the guitar transposing depends on the visible screen instruments:
If the Guitar is visible but the Piano is not visible you will experience that the MIDI input is transposed one octave up. This is done for compatibility with MIDI guitars.
However in all other situations (e.g. when both guitar and piano is visible), EarMaster transcribe and play exactly the same tones as played in the MIDI keyboard.

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen
EarMaster.