What is a "hardware Wavetable"?

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

Andy G
Ear training rookie

What is a "hardware Wavetable"?

Post by Andy G » Mar 30, 2011 1:49 pm

In the FAQ section of the EM5 manual, it says that in order to avoid delays in the sound, it is better if you have “a sound card that generates its instruments sounds from a hardware Wavetable.” I don't know what that means. Can someone tell me what sound cards generate their instrument sounds from a "hardware Wavetable"? For that matter, what is a "hardware Wavetable"? I am about to buy a new computer and I plan to use Earmaster 5 extensively, so I want to make sure that my new computer has the right kind of sound card.

Andy :-| javascript:emoticon(':-|')

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Mar 31, 2011 1:01 am

Hi Andy,

A soundcard with a hardware wavetable has build-in sampled sounds, whereas regular soundcards use synthesizers available in the OS (Windows f. ex.).

This technology is not very popular any longer, and one of the last brands offering it is Creative.

However, you don't need such a soundcard to use EarMaster (fortunately!), especially as we have added a latency compensation tool in the program in order to neutralize any delay for rhythm exercises.

So in conclusion, you should not worry about what soundcard is included in oyur new computer. Any internal soundcard will do, as the sounds will be generated by Windows'/OSX's built-in synth. :-)
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Andy G
Ear training rookie

Thank you

Post by Andy G » Mar 31, 2011 8:31 am

Thank you.