Playing with my midi keyboard inside of Earmaster Pro 6

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

jontah
Ear training buff

Playing with my midi keyboard inside of Earmaster Pro 6

Post by jontah » Aug 19, 2013 6:42 am

Hi!

I'm currently practicing melodies and how to recognize each tone of the melody. Therefore the rhythm is not important for me, or actually it is,but I just don't want to sit infront of EarMaster Pro and try to WRITE down the rythm, rather than playing it on the piano.

So what I want to do is:

Play the rhythm AND the melody on the piano instead of having to write it down in Earmaster pro6 . Is earmaster pro 6 going to catch both the rhythm and the melody?

And oh, I'm also wondering if there's any practice mode while in a question? so I can freely play around on the piano to come up with the right answer. Instead of it registering all I'm doing..

Any help is highly appreciated! this would really speed things up for me.

Oh and by the way: I'm using a MIDI TO USB interface to trigger my electric piano to the computer. How do I set this up so I can play the pianonotes from my computer?

Thanks.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Playing with my midi keyboard inside of Earmaster Pro 6

Post by Quentin » Aug 20, 2013 2:07 am

Hi,

You can play melodies with rhythm using a MIDI keyboard in the Sight-singing and Melody Imitation activities. It will not work with Melodic Dictation though, as it is not a 'real-time' activity like the other two and their rhythmic counterparts.

As for practicing, you can click on the Stop button at any time and play freely before resuming a question (also in Sight-singing and Melody Imitation).

Cheers,
Quentin
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

jontah
Ear training buff

Post by jontah » Aug 22, 2013 5:42 am

Weird because I don't get my keyboard to play any notes at all. How do I set this up if I'm using a MIDI to USB interface?

thanks!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Aug 23, 2013 1:18 am

First you need to select your MIDI interface as MIDI In device in Ear>Master's preferences.
Then, when inside the exercise, click on the MIDI In icon in the top right part of the window.

jontah
Ear training buff

Post by jontah » Aug 25, 2013 10:43 am

thanks.

it seems to be a bug in earmaster pro 6 for me. I need to select the midi interface eventhough its selected, and hten just press OK and I can play.

Oh well, its working fine.

How do I turn off the tonic and octave introduction thing in the beginning? it's taking too long time to just finish one of the exercises due to that. I simply just want to hear 2 notes and then play it myself.

Thanks!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Aug 26, 2013 1:03 am

The preference is set once, then all you need to do is toggle MIDI on/off with the MIDI icon in the toolbar. It might seem tedious if you only use MIDI I give you that, but it is a necessary step as the program can receive input in many different ways and need to adapt its internal settings to the way the user interacts with it.

IF you do not wish to hear the root tones/cadence before each question, you can deactivate it from the Exercise Settings menu by deselecting "Play introduction".

jontah
Ear training buff

Post by jontah » Aug 26, 2013 1:37 am

That's weird because I have deactivated it already but it's still there. I hear the rootnote and the octave as usual... nothing happens when deactivating it.

I want the lesson to start without the root and octave. I just simply want to hear what I'm going to play, nothing more nothing less.

Thanks

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Aug 26, 2013 2:46 am

What you describe is exactly what deactivating the "Play introduction" option should do, so perhaps there is an issue with that lesson in particular. Could you please tell me what lesson you are using, and whether you are on Windows or Mac?

jontah
Ear training buff

Post by jontah » Aug 26, 2013 3:09 am

Nope I've tried with every lesson.

for me it says "play lead-in" though. And I've unchecked that several times, does not make any difference at all to me to be honest.

Look here:

http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/48904319/file.html

Thanks!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Aug 26, 2013 3:55 am

Yes, it's "Lead-in", not "introduction", apologies.
The function has different effects depending on the activity (all the options from the "Exercise Settings" menu are set independently for each activity, so that you can have different setups depending on which one you use). The Lead-in option in sight-singing and melody imitation for example corresponds to the metronome count-in. The fist tone being played is controlled by the "Play first tone" option. In Melodic Dictation, "Lead-In" is the key tones (the tonic + octave).

In course mode, the lead-in option is different for each lesson as it supports the pedagogical approach and the content of each lesson. There is no lead-in in the first lessons, but the option is activated later on. It can however be deactivated at any time.
In Customized Activity mode, the option is activated/deactivated in the Activity Setup window, under "Play tonic of key".

jontah
Ear training buff

Post by jontah » Aug 26, 2013 4:26 am

Quentin wrote:Yes, it's "Lead-in", not "introduction", apologies.
The function has different effects depending on the activity (all the options from the "Exercise Settings" menu are set independently for each activity, so that you can have different setups depending on which one you use). The Lead-in option in sight-singing and melody imitation for example corresponds to the metronome count-in. The fist tone being played is controlled by the "Play first tone" option. In Melodic Dictation, "Lead-In" is the key tones (the tonic + octave).

In course mode, the lead-in option is different for each lesson as it supports the pedagogical approach and the content of each lesson. There is no lead-in in the first lessons, but the option is activated later on. It can however be deactivated at any time.
In Customized Activity mode, the option is activated/deactivated in the Activity Setup window, under "Play tonic of key".
Alright so my question remains - is it possible to turn off the lead-in rootnote + octave? because it's taking sooo much time to listen to that over and over again :((

jontah
Ear training buff

Post by jontah » Aug 26, 2013 4:29 am

oh nice, I'll go with the customized mode! there I can customize it as I want. Thanks for the reply!