Chords progressions using inversions

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

EUGENE_71
Ear training rookie

Chords progressions using inversions

Post by EUGENE_71 » Nov 06, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi!
I can not find a solution for my exercises: I should train to hear the major triads (I, IV, V) within Cdur. But the exercise should allow for the inversions of the triads not to stay the same. Say, if the pattern to be trained is I-IV-IV-V the right triads to be played should be :
T(46) - S(35) - S(6) - D(46) - T(35), where T(46) is a second inversion of Cdur, S(35) - root of Fdur, S(6) - first inversion of Fdur etc.
The only way is to specify the strings of chords in the "user defined" section where I can only key in the customized chords or only root triads but not the inversions of the chord defined by myself. So I will only get T(46) - S(35) - S(35) - D(46) - T(35) but not T(46) - S(35) - S(6) - D(46) - T(35).
Thanks for attn.
Regards,
Eugene

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Chords progressions using inversions

Post by Quentin » Nov 07, 2014 2:54 am

Hi Eugene,

The chord progression exercise is indeed limited when it comes to inversions.
It is one of our priorities to expand the functionnality of that activity.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

AndyZ
Ear training freshman

Re: Chords progressions using inversions

Post by AndyZ » Jan 16, 2015 9:34 am

May I add my voice to this topic please. UK ABRSM Grade 8 Aural test requires the candidate to recognise cadences (chord progressions) including the inversions of the chords in the progression. Earmaster seems like a super programme to me, just what I need except for this point. Surely it would be pretty simple to add a further drop down to the "Create a progression" process, inviting the user to specify the inversion. The usual descriptions of 1a, IVb etc would then be used in the description. Alternatively, simply add User Created Chords to the Option.

And if you can so that real soon, as my exam is coming up.......

Many thanks

Andy