Chord excercises in reverse

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

neuviemeporte
Ear training buff

Chord excercises in reverse

Post by neuviemeporte » Apr 26, 2015 12:11 pm

Hi there,

Currently, I'm struggling with learning to play some chords (and especially their inversions) quickly and accurately. I am also practicing progressions, and I could use some help with that.

EarMaster has excercises that let me learn to recognize chords and progressions. Is it possible to practice the chord excercises in the opposite direction? I mean excercises where EM tells me to play some chord in some inversion and I can input it onscreen or my MIDI keyboard. Or it asks me to play a progression in some key. The excercises seem somewhat customizable, but I could not find an option to achieve what I want. Am I missing something? And if not, would it be too much to ask to include such a feature in one of the next releases? It would really help out a lot. :)

Cheers!

Niclas
EarMaster.com

Re: Chord excercises in reverse

Post by Niclas » Apr 27, 2015 3:39 am

Hi there

If you open the chord exercise that you want to train as a customized activity you can determine if it should be played ascending or descending. This option is in the upper right corner of the customized setup screen. Is this what you mean?

Also in the standard course of the "chord identification" exercises, most of the modules has 4 different lessons. Lesson 1 plays it ascending, lesson 2 descending, lesson 3 harmonic, and lesson 4 mixes it all up.

-Niclas

neuviemeporte
Ear training buff

Post by neuviemeporte » Apr 28, 2015 9:41 am

Hi,

No, I mean a different exercise. One along these lines:

1. I select some chords (let's say minor, major, 7th, diminished
2. EM says "Play me a c minor in the 2nd inversion"
3. I build the chord using the onscreen keys or play it on my MIDI keyboard
4. EM: "OK. Now play me a G major 1st inversion"
[... and so on ...]

1. I select some progressions
2. EM says "Play me a I-IV-V-I in f minor"
3. I play
4. EM: "That was terrible"

I hope that is more clear.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Apr 29, 2015 2:30 am

That would be a very good exercise for a music theory trainer. It is something we have planned to make in the future.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

neuviemeporte
Ear training buff

Post by neuviemeporte » Apr 29, 2015 11:02 am

I realize this is not exactly "ear training", but it would make a great feature. :)