Some problems with guitar / bass.

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

en5ca
Ear training rookie

Some problems with guitar / bass.

Post by en5ca » Apr 28, 2015 12:33 pm

I have few problems with the range of guitar / bass. I've managed to get note recognition and transposition working as they should with audio input. I'd like to limit the range of exercises to match 20 fret fretboard, instead of the full 2 octaves. I tried to create custom vocal range but for some reason customized vocal range doesn't have any effect on the exercises. In a matter of fact, custom vocal range doesn't "save" in the user properties. When I reopen the user properties window, the vocal range has reset to guitar / bass, or any other preset that was previously selected before customization. I tried to create custom string tuning for 4-string bass, so that the G string would be Eb which in effect would limit the range to match 20 fret fingerboard on a full 2 octave board, but no luck.

If you ask me, the guitar and bass input ranges could be easily restricted to something like 18 frets with standard tunings.

I'm using OS X Yosemite with fresh install of EarMaster Pro and local user account.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Some problems with guitar / bass.

Post by Quentin » Apr 29, 2015 2:27 am

Hi,

I can see that custom vocal ranges aren't saved as you reported, which is probably why the setting isn't applied in the exercises either. I have notified the devs so that it gets fixed a soon as possible.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

en5ca
Ear training rookie

Post by en5ca » Apr 29, 2015 6:58 am

Thanks for quick response. Great software!

About range customization. When I tried creating custom vocal range I wasn't able to drag the lower limit to low E on the first lower leger line on the bass clef. Although it's possible to get enharmonically the same tone with Fb, I was just wondering will the exercises then always show Fb instead of E, when the range customization is fixed. If it works this way, can this also be fixed, as the Bass (EADG) -preset nicely shows that natural E on the first lower leger line implying the limit is set to E.

Another question. Does the vocal range "work" enharmonically in general? For example if I limit my upper range to D# would this mean that I will get the 3rd from B major, but not from C minor as the 3rd would be Eb, although they are enharmonically the same tones?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Apr 30, 2015 8:04 am

Internally, custom vocal ranges are simply MIDI note values. So it's the exercises that will dictate enharmonic rules and apply the necessary changes to the different note spellings.

We will try to rework the custom vocal range window so that it allows to set the lower pitch to E (and perhaps even lower if possible).
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -