Major usabilty problems

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

wciszak
Ear training freshman

Major usabilty problems

Post by wciszak » Dec 06, 2015 7:45 pm

Hello
I have just installed the trial version of EarMaster Pro 6 for Mac and I spent an hour with it and its help files before quitting in frustration. I am hoping that your answer will persuade me to give it a second chance. Here are the main problems, right off the top:
1. The rhythm exercises start the moment I press the start button. There is no count-in. How can I move from my computer to my instrument in 1 nanosecond? There is a menu option called Lead in but it makes no difference if it's checked or not.

2. Clicking the mouse each time I want to run an exercise is inconvenient. The F keys don't work. Is there another way to start and stop (PianoMarvel and SmartMusic, which I also have, use the spacebar for this)

3. Do you have any tutorials demonstrating how to use the various activities? With some of the exercises I could not figure out what I am supposed to do. Explanations are either absent or completely cryptic.

Thanks
Wojtek

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Major usabilty problems

Post by Quentin » Dec 07, 2015 2:48 am

Hi Wojtek,

1. In the rhythmic exercises, you can start any time you want. The metronome starts playing immediately, but it's only a cue. You can start playing your answer when you are ready, and as soon as the software detects that you are playing your answer, it will start evaluating it. The only requirement is that you are in sync with the metronome.

2. F keys should work, but notice that if you have a laptop, sometimes those keys are also used for hardware features (volume, screen brightness, etc.). In that case, the laptop manufacturers provide an extra key to use the F keys (for example on a Macbook, you would hold the "Fn" key before pressing a F key).

3. Those tutorials are planned. On Youtube, you will find some for EarMaster Pro 5 which also apply to version 6: https://www.youtube.com/user/eartraining
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -