Interval recognition and chord inversion identification

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

kehammel
Ear training rookie

Interval recognition and chord inversion identification

Post by kehammel » Apr 27, 2016 3:12 pm

As a beginner at this, I sometimes hear the octave of a particular note in a harmonic interval or chord incorrectly. For example, A and the E above it are played simultaneously, and I mistakenly choose "4th" as the interval because I think I'm hearing A and the E below it. Then, when Earmaster tells me that's the wrong answer, I want to replay the correct version and my answer to compare them and learn from that. However, in replaying my wrong answer, Earmaster sounds A and the D above it as the 4th, which is not the mistake I was making.

The same problem comes up in the chord inversion identifications. Suppose I pick root position for a C major triad played harmonically when the correct answer is first inversion, and then I want to compare the correct answer with my wrong one. Naturally I want to hear the C major triads in first inversion and root position when I listen afterwards to the correct answer and my answer. I don't want to hear an E major triad in root position when I ask the program to replay my answer, but that's what it does.

The whole process appears to be inflexibly anchored to the bottom note in the interval or triad, unless there's a way I haven't found yet to change it in the settings. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Also posted this in General Discussion- wasn't sure where it belongs.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Interval recognition and chord inversion identification

Post by Quentin » Apr 28, 2016 1:46 am

Hi, I answered in the General discussion forum: http://www.earmaster.com/community/forum/3/2359.html
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -