"Play tonic of key" volume too low.

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

KostaC
Ear training master

"Play tonic of key" volume too low.

Post by KostaC » May 19, 2016 2:46 am

Hello.

The volume of the Root Chord (play tonic of a key) is too low In the melodic dictation section (custom activity) in comparing to the volume of the actual example that follows.

I'm using the mac version.

Niclas
EarMaster.com

Re: "Play tonic of key" volume too low.

Post by Niclas » May 19, 2016 3:25 am

Hi!

I just ran a test, and here it seems to be the same volume as the actual exercise. Could it be that the attack rate of your midi instruments is set differently? If you go to preference->midi instruments, you can check and adjust the attack rate of the different instruments in EarMaster.

-Niclas

KostaC
Ear training master

Post by KostaC » May 19, 2016 7:12 am

Are you making a test with 127 attack rate? Of course the volume is even at that level. But as i lower the attack rate the difference of the root volume and the actual exercise becomes bigger and bigger. My attack rate for the piano is 54. And i am using external midi software, but it's the same problem with the built in fluid driver.

Niclas
EarMaster.com

Post by Niclas » May 20, 2016 4:27 am

I did the test with all the instruments being at "100" in attack rate, which should be the default value. After experimenting around with it a bit, I see your point. There is a slight difference in the volume. Even at 100 in attack rate. The difference gets bigger as the attack rate is lowered, as you pointed out. Right now, I guess the only solution is to increase the attack rate, and adjust the other aspects accordingly. We will look into this, to figure out what causes this. Right now all of our focus in on the upcoming iPad version, which is very close to the release. When this is released and up and running, we will start to look into these minor bugs in the desktop version again.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

-Niclas

KostaC
Ear training master

Post by KostaC » May 20, 2016 5:25 am

Thanks for your patience, support and temporary solution. There is one more (small) problem regarding this. No matter if is Interval Recognicion, Chord Recognition, Melodic Dictation etc... Every next example is a little bit louder than the previous one (say the first 10 or 15 examples). I'm currently testing it with the same 54 attack rate.

I'm looking forward to your efforts for the iPad version and with pleasure i will be your beta tester for it as i was for the Mac version 6.

- Cheers

Niclas
EarMaster.com

Post by Niclas » May 24, 2016 2:18 am

Thanks for your understanding.

I can't seem to re-create this part of it. Do you use this through the external midi software, that you mentioned earlier?

It could perhaps help to reset all your EarMaster settings to default. If you want to try that, simply delete the Setting.da6 file in EarMaster's data folder, which can be find at Users/Shared/EarMaster/Data

-Niclas