no sound in exercises (but 'correct' and intro sound are OK)

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

Tanja

no sound in exercises (but 'correct' and intro sound are OK)

Post by Tanja » May 11, 2006 1:33 pm

I have used Earmaster 5 with a lot of success for several months, but suddenly (after not having used it for a few weeks) there is no sound anymore when I am doing the exercises (f.i. intervals do not sound, nor do I hear myself playing the piano (answering the question) in the exercises; but they can be seen so I know the exercise is working)
However I do hear the Intro-sound and the ,correct'and 'incorrect' sound effects. (I use a M Audio 1814 external soundcard, which seems to work correctly, and did work in the past; Other program I use MIDI for is Printmusic (Finale) for Musicnotation;).
I need to train ! How do I get the sound back again......
(I am not a wiz-kid with computers)

Thanks for your help!

Tanja

Post by Guest » May 12, 2006 5:09 am

If you are using the demo, then the sounds stop after the evaluation time has expired, but if you have been using it for months I don't think this is your problem.

Check what's selected under Tools ->Midi Devices -> Midi Out , then press the button on the right, if you don't get any sound, try different options.

If you get a sound, but you still hear nothing when playing your keyboard, then check what's slected on the Midi In droplist, it should be the midi port you are using to plug your keyboard.

Tanja

no sound exercises

Post by Tanja » May 13, 2006 8:40 am

Thank you for your reply, but it does not help:

I have installed an officially bought CD Earmaster professional version 5 in Dutch.

Under Tools Midi devises out, there are three options:

Midi mapper
M Audio FW 1814 (which is my sound card)
Mixcrosoft Wavetable software.

None of them work. The Volume is max.

But the funny thing is that the Introduction sound works and also the '(in)correct' soundeffects.

I will now install it again, maybe that helps.
If you have an other idea, please let me know!

Post by Guest » May 14, 2006 5:28 am

The intro sound and the correct/incorrect sounds are recorded sounds, they are in wav files and EarMaster only has to play them, but the exercises sounds are MIDI sounds, they are not related.

Well, obviously you have a MIDI problem, now you have to find out if is in your system or only with EarMaster. Can you get any MIDI sounds in other programs?

Also make sure you don't open two different programs using MIDI at the same time, as there are some MIDI devices that can't be opened more than once at a time.

Tanja

midi problem in exercises

Post by Tanja » May 15, 2006 1:03 pm

Thanks, I realise it is a midi problem.

I have installed earmaster again and now the problem is over. (In other MIdi programs, the sound worked correctly), so it did have to do with earmaster.

But it works now.

Thanks
Tanja