Some features which I would like

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

Some features which I would like

Post by Guest » Jun 21, 2006 9:03 am

Here are some features which I would very much like to have:

1. adjustable latency compensation.
When I use my Audio/Mid Interface (Audiophile USB), I notice in the rhythm clapping exercise, that my claps are always late. I am convinced this is due to the system's latency. This could be compensated. An easy test / way of measuring this would be if the user places his microphone in front of the speaker, and then the system plays a click through the speakers and measures the time until the signal from the microphone arrives.

2. Different MIDI Interfaces for sounds and metronome.
The MIDI sound modules that I own do not offer "clicks" (e.g. the Nord Electro Rack only plays piano+organ sounds). Therefore, I would like to let Earmaster play notes through the USB MIDI Interface to my Nord Electro Rack, but for the metronome I would like to use the Computer's internal sound generation.

3. Different Metronome types.
My jazz piano teacher taught me to use the metronome in a way that I interpret the clicks as the 2 and 4 (second and fourth quarter). He thinks that this is better than a normal 4/4 metronome to improve my internal timing, especially with regards to a "jazz feeling". (Thinking of it, 4/4 with an emphasis on the first quarter is even less "jazz feel".)
Therefore it would be nice to have a configurable metronome beat (especially: clicks on 2 and 4).

Waigin
Ear training grand master

Post by Waigin » Jun 21, 2006 7:01 pm

I find that the 3rd suggestion is very good! ;-)

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » Jun 22, 2006 12:54 am

1) In the EarMaster Program settings you can set the latency on the "Midi devices" tab (it is called "Synchronize rhythms").

2) Thank you for the suggestion, we will consider that for a future version of EarMaster.

3) Great idea. The question is how advanced it should be. The advanced solution would be to allow the metronome to be configured for each time signature. For each beat in the meter you could choose among: no sound, normal click and accented click. This would however lead to a huge number of settings that will be very confusing except for those few people that needs it... Another solution would be to offer a few fixed settings, e.g. for 4/4 to choose between: standard metronome (1,2,3,4) or Off beat metronome (2,4) and maybe a few more.
Any thoughts about this?

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen
EarMaster

Waigin
Ear training grand master

Post by Waigin » Jun 22, 2006 4:52 pm

Hans,

It can maybe ask at the beginning of the exercice and it stay until we go out of the exercice

Post by Guest » Jun 27, 2006 9:38 am

Hello again,

With regard to 1)
I am not sure whether the existing latency compensation works for this. I think that it only works for adjusting the difference between visual output and audio output, but not the delay between audio output and audio input.
I will test this.

With regard to 3)
I think it is sufficient to offer offbeat (2 and 4) as an alternative to the standard. However, I say this more from my experience in software development ("it is better to offer few, simple, easily usable features than to offer everything that is technically possible") than from my musical knowledge.

Thanks Anyway,
Rudolf