Ear training exercises as MP3

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

rickeyjt
Ear training expert

Ear training exercises as MP3

Post by rickeyjt » Sep 16, 2006 9:10 am

Melodic Dictation for single note phrases. I listen once and then try to play back exatly what I hear.

I setup up some custom exercises and want to export the tones so I can load them on my mp3 player to practice away from my computer. I see I can put it on autoplay and then record it to the computer and then splice them myself but this is extra work to do.

What I would like to see is each phrase em5 creates for me be exported to it's own file. Let's say five tones of the blues scales are randomly played for me by em5. Have a file created with that phrase and equal silence time to play it.

Post by Guest » Sep 17, 2006 11:10 am

Use a free midi sequencer, and LoopBe1 (also free) to connect EarMaster with the midi sequencer.

Now you can save as MIDI everything EarMaster plays.

rickeyjt
Ear training expert

Post by rickeyjt » Sep 17, 2006 11:28 am

I can capture them easily as they are played live but they are all in one file. What I want to do is automatically parse each phrase created into single individual files.

Unless what you described does that, I haven't tried yet. I am using the MS GS Wavetable SW Synth as the output device. LoopBe1 I assume would capture as midi output but I still will convert to wav or ultimately mp3 for use on my mp3 player - as individual phrases/files.
Rickeyjt

Vendor

Post by Vendor » Sep 18, 2006 1:15 am

I guess you could use a freeware program like MP3DirectCut, use the "pause detection" feature and then choose "save split".

:fart:

Post by Guest » Sep 18, 2006 5:07 am

LoopBe1 creates a virtual MIDI wire. Once installed, in EarMaster you choose LoopBe1 as MIDI ouput, and in the MIDI sequencer LoopBe1 as MIDI input.

Now the Output of EarMaster goes to the MIDI sequencer, wich you can use to record, and export as wav, mp3, or whatever format the sequencer supports.

The process is a little complex for such a simple thing, but EarMaster doesn't have an option for this, and I don't know a better way of doing it.

rickeyjt
Ear training expert

Post by rickeyjt » Sep 18, 2006 5:50 am

Vendor wrote:I guess you could use a freeware program like MP3DirectCut, use the "pause detection" feature and then choose "save split".

:fart:
I have mp3directcut and did not know that it did that. I ran it and split out 100 pieces in less than 5 minutes.

This is a fine solution for me. Thanks.

The way I create the wav file is to use a recorder (adobe audition or total recorder) to capture the pieces into one large file. Then just setup a lesson to autoplay and auto answer. mp3directcut splits, names and numbers the individual phrases.

LoopBe1 would help if I wanted to port these pieces out for other purposes which I do not need to do but I'll try it out.
Rickeyjt