Banjo tuning

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

coos19732
Ear training rookie

Banjo tuning

Post by coos19732 » Feb 13, 2018 3:27 pm

I noticed the banjo is tuned in CGDA but standard tuning is gDGBD (open G). Can I change that? The 5th string isn't that important because it's the drone string, but the other 4 should be in standard tuning or the whole setup is useless.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Banjo tuning

Post by Quentin » Feb 14, 2018 4:10 am

Hi,

EarMaster's Banjo is a 4-stringed Tenor Banjo. The most standard tuning for that type of Banjo is CGDA. We would like to add the 5-stringed Banjo tuned in gDGBD that you mention, but the high-pitched 5th string is causing us trouble because of how the fingerboard interface is built. Could you please send a feature request to feedback@earmaster.com. That way,they will get it first hand and it will be easier for them to act on it.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

coos19732
Ear training rookie

Re: Banjo tuning

Post by coos19732 » Feb 14, 2018 10:19 am

I suspected something about it being a tenor banjo. Does anyone play those? :-) I'll send in a request to the email address mentioned and until then I'll just play the notes straight from the 5 string into the microphone. Works great! It would be nice to just change the tuning of the on screen 4-string that is already there because that would be a great help in getting to know my fretboard a bit better.