Melody Singback feature request

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

BillM
Ear training jedi

Melody Singback feature request

Post by BillM » Jun 17, 2021 7:27 am

Would it be possible to have a custom pitch range that could follow key changes in Melody Singback?
I have developed some lessons for Melody Singback exercises. The workbooks/modules have themes such as “Egypt, Blues, Japan, etc.
The exercises are set to a single key. One reason is that the custom key range set for these lessons is crucial. To work properly, the pitch range would need to shift with the key change.
I would also like to set up lessons that generate questions in random keys. As a test, I tried this and EarMaster crashes when the combination of a narrow pitch range and the key can’t generate a melody.
What I would like to see is the option for a custom pitch range that can shift with the key. In addition, I think it would be useful if the user had the option to select a key to focus on.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Melody Singback feature request

Post by Quentin » Jun 18, 2021 3:36 am

Isn't the option "Use key of score (no transposition)" offering what you need? Then the software simply won't modify the score you used for your exercise. And if you use several scores in each its own key, then EarMaster will respect that as well and chang keys with each new question/score. In that case you might need to set the pitch range to a wide bracket to be sure no conflict happens.

Is this a possible solution to the problem you describe?

As for the crash, I have reported it to our dev team :)
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jun 18, 2021 3:48 am

I am trying to reproduce the crash you described but no luck so far. What options are you choosing for Key and Pitch range?

Also, are you on build 7.2.52 (the latest build)?

BillM
Ear training jedi

Post by BillM » Jun 18, 2021 7:43 am

I have build 7.2.49
I set up a custom exercise to reproduce the problem
Source – pitch and rhythm
Largest interval – major 3rd
Ambitus – major 3rd
Last tone – tonic
Pitch range – C3 to F3
Keys – random
Continuous call-response
This where I got the crash. I did solve the problem by making a small custom scale (Do- Re-Me) and increasing the pitch range. However, If I expand the exercise to Do-Re-Me-Fa-Sol, the question might use the Sol that is below Do.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jun 21, 2021 4:09 am

I do indeed obtain the "Can't generate a melody witht he current setting", but that can be expected when the tonic is set to be the final note for every question, all keys are included, but the pitch range doesn't cover a full octave. To avoid these messages, you could either select the Keys that are compatible with your settings (which maybe EarMaster could do automatically at some point), or allow degrees 3 and 5 as possible final notes.

I didn't get any crash though. Could you please update the software to 7.2.52 and see if the software is still crashing with this configuration on your computer?