programme freeze

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

drphillips515
Ear training rookie

programme freeze

Post by drphillips515 » Aug 16, 2022 12:30 pm

I downloaded the free version of Earmaster ((7.2) to my windows 10 computer a couple of weeks ago. It worked fine. However since a windows update a few days ago the programme freezes completely whenever I get to the microphone test. I've tried reloading the programme but t makes no difference. Please help.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: programme freeze

Post by Quentin » Aug 17, 2022 3:56 am

Hi,

It could sound like EarMaster is denied access to your microphone. Maybe some security settings have been changed when you updated Windows. I can't reproduce the issue on my Win10 PC and it's just been updated, so I think the problem is linked to a setting on your PC.

Could you find the EarMaster program icon in Windows, right click on it and choose "Run as Administrator"?

If that didn't help, could you check that your mic is currently selected as default Recording device in Windows' sound settings?
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

drphillips515
Ear training rookie

Post by drphillips515 » Aug 17, 2022 3:34 pm

Thanks for your reply. Running as administrator makes no difference. My microphone is selected as the default. I received an update to 7.3. Modules that don't use a microphone seem to work ok.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Aug 18, 2022 12:05 am

Have you checked whether your mic is the default audio recording device in Windows?

To access that setting, go SETTINGS>SYSTEM>SOUND>INPUT and make sure that your mic is selected. Then start EarMaster to see if that helped.

Notice that if you are using an audio interface with multiple input channels, you need to use channel 1 with EarMaster. Other channels are not used by the software.

drphillips515
Ear training rookie

Post by drphillips515 » Aug 25, 2022 10:50 am

I have solved my problem and will share the solution in case someone has the same issue. The windows update reset the sample rate on my computer to 48000hz (which I assume is windows default). My interface is set to 44100hz and the mismatch caused the issue, Resetting my computer back to 44100hz was the solution. Instructions for resetting the sample rate in windows can be found online.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Aug 29, 2022 2:38 am

Ok, thanks for following up on this. It will likely be useful to some users.