Problem getting started - section 2.2 doesn't seem to work

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

mikepwagner
Ear training apprentice

Problem getting started - section 2.2 doesn't seem to work

Post by mikepwagner » Jun 18, 2023 6:36 pm

I just bought Earmaster and installed it on my MacBook. I started with the beginner lesson, and that took me Section 2.2.

Earmaster plays 2 pitched and I am supposed to match them - at least I think that's the way it's supposed to work.

Earmaster played two pitches, and I tried to match them, there was no feedback. The question count never incremented, nothing.

After a few seconds the question repeated - with the same pitches, and I tried to match the pithes - again nothing.

I had expected that I would get feedback as to how closely I matched the pitches after I sang them. Is that not the way it works?

The (built in) microphone was confined, and the test seemed to indicate that the microphone was working, even though sound is below the ideal level.

mikepwagner
Ear training apprentice

Re: Problem getting started - section 2.2 doesn't seem to work

Post by mikepwagner » Jun 18, 2023 6:49 pm

Never mind - I just wasn't singing long enough, I guess. When I sang longer, a staff showed up with the patch and a squiggly blue line that I guess was my attempt to reproduce the pitch.

I scored 7% on that exercise, which mostly confirmed my lifelong observation that I cannot sing - but I did not need Earmaster to tell me me that - I have known that for 70 years. :-)

I guess that the idea is that I am supposed to keep trying, and eventually my score should creep up?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Problem getting started - section 2.2 doesn't seem to work

Post by Quentin » Jun 20, 2023 1:21 am

Hi,

Yes indeed, the app needs you to hold the tone long enough for it to detect what pitch you are singing.

That exercise is focusing on your sense of pitch, but it is quite forgiving, so if you are only getting 7% correct, then I think the reason might be that the exercise is not working/used as intended. Just the fact that you are singing long enough shoudl gve you a higher score than that.

It woud be very useful if you sent me a video showing how you use the exercise, I am sure it's a matter of a small missed detail. You can send the video to support@earmaster.com
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -