Rhythmic Sight-Singing

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

BillM
Ear training jedi

Rhythmic Sight-Singing

Post by BillM » Nov 07, 2023 10:27 am

How do I get EarMaster to wait until I play to record my answer?

I have students on my cloud account that say this works at home. When they come to see me, it doesn't work (on my computer). There are similar problems with Rhythmic Clapback, Melody Singback and Melodic sight-singing.

Thank You!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Rhythmic Sight-Singing

Post by Quentin » Nov 13, 2023 1:24 am

Hi,
That exercise has been working differently in the past, so it is possible that either you or your students have an older version of EarMaster.

Please make sure that you all have the newest update.

The way it works now is that you see a rhythmic phrase displayed on the screen, and you can use the time you need to prepare it. When you are ready to perform it, you can click/tap on "Record Answer" so that the metronome and then the recording of your answer begin. You get one single bar of cue in the time signature of the example, and then the student needs to clap or tap the answer.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

BillM
Ear training jedi

Post by BillM » Nov 18, 2023 6:37 am

On Rhythmic Sight-Singing I would like to be able to listen to the metronome for a measure or two or three before I submit the answer.
I would like to do the same with Rhythmic Clapback, Melody Singback and Melodic sight-singing. On the singback exercises I might want to submit my answer immediately after the question is played or maybe wait it out for another bar.

I believe earlier versions were able to do what I described. At one time I did suggest adding a feature where you could limit the number of bars that lapse before answering the question.

I must add that I primarily use EarMaster with students at various levels, and many of my suggestions are based on how students interact with these exercises.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Nov 20, 2023 1:27 am

In an upcoming update, you will be able to specify how many count-in bars (up to 4 bars) are played before the student answers an exercise.

As for answering immediately after the melody/rhythm is played in singback or clapback exercises, this is already possible. To do that, you can disable the exercise option "Play count-in". You can even push it a step further and enable the option "Continuous call-response" in order to leave no pauses between questions and answers, as featured in the new "Call of the Notes" course that was added in the latest update of EarMaster.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

BillM
Ear training jedi

Post by BillM » Nov 20, 2023 12:36 pm

Let's say a student typically waits for 1 or more bars before answering. Would they still be able to answer in immediately if they felt confident on a particular question? Sometimes they like to wait a bar or more to lapse before coming in depending on the question. On some questions they might answer right away.