Changing the instrument sound on Mac version

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

cpw
Ear training apprentice

Changing the instrument sound on Mac version

Post by cpw » Nov 30, 2008 11:27 pm

I have downloaded the Mac version and am not at all happy with the instrument sound I get when playing the exercises. The Midi Out of the devices tab recognizes my soft synth and when I hit the play button it gives me the proper instrument and sound but this is not the sound that is being used when the exercises are played.It reverts back to the awful original default sound. Why is this and how can I get a decent piano sound to play the exercises?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Dec 01, 2008 2:39 am

Hi,
I have mentioned your problem to our developper and he will have a look. I'll come back to you asap.
regards,
Quentin
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

cpw
Ear training apprentice

Post by cpw » Dec 01, 2008 10:29 pm

Thank you for your prompt response to this issue.
Cheers,
cpw

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Dec 02, 2008 8:26 am

Hi,
A new update for EarMaster is available which includes a fix for some MIDI issues on Mac - I hope this will solve your problem. If not, please let me know.
Best regards,
Normann

cpw
Ear training apprentice

Post by cpw » Dec 02, 2008 12:35 pm

Hi Normann,
I downloaded the update from http://www.earmaster.com/download/updat ... 0g&os=osxi and put it in the applications folder where it replaced the older version.Unfortunately it has not fixed the problem. I still have exactly the same issues as described above with no decent instrument sound being played during the exercises. Is anybody else having this problem?
cpw

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Dec 03, 2008 2:35 am

Hi,
That's strange - it should respect your instrument settings during exercises, and I haven't heard anybody else having this problem.

I'll like to look into this problem, but I need a list of the names in your Midi out device list to start with - I will try and setup an identical environment, and see if this could be a conflict between the built-in soft synth and your soft synth.
Normann

cpw
Ear training apprentice

Post by cpw » Dec 04, 2008 1:49 am

My Midi Out devices list consists of the Apple DLS SoftSynth and SimpleSynth (my Presonus Firebox is also recognized in the drop down).I get a decent (passable) piano sound from this area when I preview the sound with Apple DLS or SimpleSynth chosen. But it then reverts to the bad organ default sound (the only sound I've been able to get with this program) when the exercises are played. What are others getting as their instruments/sounds when using this program?

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Dec 04, 2008 3:11 am

What is your piano instrument setting on the next tab "MIDI Instruments" in program settings?

The "Play" button on the "MIDI devices" tab does not send a program change, when you choose a Midi output device, and hit the button. But the "Play" on the "MIDI Instrument does.

In exercise mode, it combines these two settings, selecting the Midi device, and sends out program changes to the device.

Others should also get piano sound as default.