Volume is too soft on Mac version of Earmaster

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

SilentK
Ear training expert

Volume is too soft on Mac version of Earmaster

Post by SilentK » Dec 08, 2008 11:46 am

I just installed the Mac version of Earmaster. Everything seems to be working just fine, but the volume of the sounds is too soft.

I have gone to the "Sound" tab on my computer's "System Preferences" and set the volume as high as it goes. When I play songs from iTunes, they are fairly loud. But in Earmaster, all the tones are quite soft.

I have gone under "Program Settings"/"Midi Instruments" and set the "Attack" of each instrument (guitar, or piano) to its maximum, of 127.

Also, under "Program Settings"/"Midi Devices" the only option I have for "Midi Out" is "Apple DLS SoftSynth" and I have set the volume slider to fully up.

I have the PC version already, and the volume level is much louder, not sure why the Mac version sounds about half as loud, even though I have turned it all the way up.

This is not a huge problem, as I can still hear the notes being played, but they are quiet. So basically I have to use headphones, to block out all other noise. I just wish I can hear it clearly without needing headphones.

I bought the PC version of Earmaster 5 a year ago, so the Mac version is a free upgrade for me. I am happy to have anything, so I am not complaining, I just wish I could get a similar volume level from the Mac version as I am used to from the PC version.

Again, using my Mac to play songs from iTunes, the volume level of iTunes is about twice as loud as the volume level from Earmaster (even having set all the settings to maximum, as I described above).

When iTunes is playing, if I set the volume slider to halfway, that is about the same volume as I get from Earmaster, when it is set to max volume.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Dec 09, 2008 1:53 am

Hi,
We are going to have a look at that problem. The thing is that the tones are played by a MIDI software synth, whereas sounds from Itunes are audio files, and they are not set up the same way. We will attempt to reduce the discrepency of levels between these two types of sounds.
Enjoy the new Mac version!
Regards,
Quentin
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

SilentK
Ear training expert

Post by SilentK » Dec 09, 2008 8:17 pm

Thanks for your prompt attention.

For the time being, I will use my headphones when using the Mac version of Earmaster. I have Grado SR-80 headphones, which I use to listen to music from my computer (large and ugly to look at, but they sound great!). They were about $100, but they are good, high quality headphones that are very sensitive, so they amplify the volume, much more than typical headphones do.

If you figure out how to make the output of the MIDI software synth louder, that would be nice, as I could use the program without the headphones. So I will check back on this message board occasionally.

In any case, I am very appreciative of having gotten the Mac version, as a free upgrade to having bought the PC version. Everything else on the program seems to work great, just like the PC version.

If anyone else is having this problem with the volume of the Mac version, I suggest using high-quality headphones, if you have them. High quality headphones are made to be more sensitive to the audio source, so that they can give the listener more dynamic range.

Usually when I use my Grado SR-80 headphones, I have to turn DOWN the volume from iTunes (or my portable CD player), as the Grados are so sensitive, and I don't want to hurt my ears! But in this case, I am actually playing Earmaster at maximum volume, and through the Grados the volume is just barely loud enough for me to really hear the notes fully.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Dec 12, 2008 2:55 am

Hi,

The soft synth that plays MIDI sounds in EarMaster is the one included in Mac OS X and is the standard MIDI sound engine for most applications.

We have tried to compare it with the soft synths used in Garage band and the volume difference is not much.

Setting volume sliders under MIDI out to maximum and setting the attack values to 127 like you did is currently the loudest it can get.

We are looking at other possible solutions for MIDI playback sound engines, and if we come across a better solution, we will use it. :-)

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Dec 15, 2008 7:45 am

Hi,

An update should be available now, which fixes some issues with the build in soft synth - the volume is scaled up, so you might need to turn down your settings a bit ;-)

Check for updates through EarMaster's help menu.

Best regards,
Normann

apex sound
Ear training rookie

Volume too low

Post by apex sound » Feb 09, 2011 10:25 am

Hi,
I see this thread is a few years old, but I'm having the same problem on my MacBook Pro.

The rhythm training section seems loud enough, but with the interval training, I've got my speakers all the way up and it's still barely loud enough.

Am I missing a setting somewhere to turn this up?

TIA!
Sean

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Feb 10, 2011 3:05 am

Hi Sean,

The volume can be set in the EarMaster [version name] 5 menu, under preferences.

At the Effects/Microphone tab, you will find a volume slider that you can set higher if needed.

Then, at the MIDI Instruments tab, you can set the Attack for each instrument to a higher value (max 127) in order to increase their volume.

hotel17
Ear training apprentice

volume still too slow

Post by hotel17 » Feb 06, 2012 11:54 am

Hi,

the volume slider in effects/microphone has no effect at all.

I'm a teacher and installed license Earmaster school on all the iMacs in the class. Unfortunately, the volume is so quiet, Earmaster is practically useless.

what now?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Feb 07, 2012 1:38 am

What version of OSX are the iMacs running?

hotel17
Ear training apprentice

Post by hotel17 » Feb 07, 2012 2:42 am

OS X 10.7.2

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Feb 07, 2012 3:36 am

Could you make sure that the Attack settings for playback instruments are set to 127 at TOOLS>MIDI DEVICES>MIDI INSTRUMENTS.

127 is the maximum attack (= volume) value for MIDI. Setting the instruments to that value, and making sure that both the volume slider in EarMaster and in OSX's sound preferences are high enough should ensure a playback volume that is optimal for any use.

hotel17
Ear training apprentice

Post by hotel17 » Feb 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Did all this before. attack = 127, and all volumes are up.
by the way, this problem does occur on all the iMacs, and even on the students own MacBooks

novelistus
Ear training enthusiast

Earmaster MAC Volume

Post by novelistus » Mar 05, 2012 3:59 pm

What a great program. In ragards of functionality. If just it would be able to use it without headsets. The volume on the Mac is simply insufficient (even with the MIDI to 127 and the slider all the way up in prefs).
I practice 1 - 1.5 hours a day and I have a headache from wearing the headset all the time.
Looks like I have to find another program which allows me to practice through the MBP speakers. Too bad.
A somewhat higher volume is very beneficial especial in those areas NEW to the ear.

hotel17
Ear training apprentice

Re: Earmaster MAC Volume

Post by hotel17 » Mar 06, 2012 1:42 am

novelistus wrote:What a great program. In ragards of functionality. If just it would be able to use it without headsets. The volume on the Mac is simply insufficient (even with the MIDI to 127 and the slider all the way up in prefs).
I practice 1 - 1.5 hours a day and I have a headache from wearing the headset all the time.
Looks like I have to find another program which allows me to practice through the MBP speakers. Too bad.
A somewhat higher volume is very beneficial especial in those areas NEW to the ear.
Indeed. As Earmaster is nog responding to this major bug, it looks like we will have to look for a better alternative.
I teach at the Royal music conservatory, where students are preparing a career as teachers themself. And they're telling me that one thing is for sure: they wil not use Earmaster in their future schools. Rather at the doctor's office.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Mar 06, 2012 2:37 am

Hi,
The volume level of the tones generated in EarMaster is directly dependent on Apple's built-in software synth. When both the attack and and the volume slider have been set to the max, it is as loud as the Apple DLS device can get. This is the case for, as far as I know, all major ear training application available. We are currently working on using our own sound playback solution in order to have more control over sounds and levels.

However, routing EarMaster's MIDI to another sound player may greatly improve the perceived volume of MIDI notes.

Routing MIDI between applications is a feature that is built in Mac OS, so it is very easy to do:

1. Go to APPLICATIONS/UTILITIES/AUDIO MIDI SETUP
2. Menu Window --> Show MIDI WINDOW
3. Double-click on IAC Driver
4. Activate the IAC driver by checking "Enable"
5. Start EarMaster, and select the IAC driver as MIDI out (TOOLS/MIDI DEVICES
6. Start an application that can play receive/Play MIDI sounds, such as Garage Band or Kore Player.

Not only will you get more level, but you will also be able to use the fantastic sound banks available in GarageBand.

Please feel welcome to write to our support address if you need more guidance specific to your setup.