not opening - uninstall?

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

slvland
Ear training apprentice

not opening - uninstall?

Post by slvland » Dec 27, 2008 10:37 am

Hi, I recently bought and installed earmaster 5 on a macintosh OS 10.4.something and it worked wonderfully for a couple of days, then it crashed but reopened and worked for a couple days more. Then it would not open. I dragged it to trash and tried restarts and reinstalling but no-go. I did disk repairs, permission repairs, restarts and tried reinstalling. no-go. So I upgraded to OS 10.5.6 but still no success. The app shows up in applications, but when I double click the icon bounces but nothing happens .... I know from the older successful install that a bunch of programs should show up in utilities, but they are not there anymore. I am guessing that the first thing I should try is uninstalling again - maybe I am missing something that I need to uninstall manually because it might be lying around on my computer, corrupt and fouling up a clean reinstall ??? Could you tell me what pgms/dsets to look for and trash before tying to reinstall ? any other ideas? thanks. Happy holidays!
Susan

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Dec 29, 2008 4:21 am

Hi Susan,

Happy holidays to you too! Is your Macintosh a PowerPC, or and Intel?

Best regards,
Normann

slvland
Ear training apprentice

Post by slvland » Dec 29, 2008 6:42 am

it is a power pc G5

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am

Hi Susan,

First thing I like you to try is to remove some of EarMaster's data files. You can locate these with Finder in your "Shared" folder - you should see a folder name "EarMaster", and you can drag it to your trash, or you can simply rename the folder - EarMaster will create a new folder with new files.

If any of the files have been damaged, this test will show. If it doesn't help, let me hear from you.

Best regards,
Normann

slvland
Ear training apprentice

Post by slvland » Dec 31, 2008 7:05 am

Hi,
The only files that can be found searching on "earmaster" is the earmaster pro.app in my applications folder. Nothing in Sharing except some garage band stuff.
If it helps, when I try to reinstall earmaster(dragging the earmaster icon to the apps folder), the earmaster pro.app shows up in applications (and it does indicate that it is copying files with the app) , but no earmaster files show up anyplace else. Then when I double click the earmaster pro.app the ear icon bounces in my dock and then disappears. It does not ask me for serial number or anything like it did the very first time. and still no earmaster files anywhere except for the earmaster pro.app. When I right click on the earmaster pro.app to "show pkg contents" there is stuff there (frameworks, info.plist, MacOS, pkginfo and Resources)
Thanks for trying to help
Susan

olivest
Ear training rookie

Post by olivest » Jan 05, 2009 10:46 am

Posted: Dec 27, 2008 10:37 am Subject: not opening - uninstall?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I recently bought and installed earmaster 5 on a macintosh OS 10.4.something and it worked wonderfully for a couple of days, then it crashed but reopened and worked for a couple days more. Then it would not open. I dragged it to trash and tried restarts and reinstalling but no-go. I did disk repairs, permission repairs, restarts and tried reinstalling. no-go. So I upgraded to OS 10.5.6 but still no success. The app shows up in applications, but when I double click the icon bounces but nothing happens .... I know from the older successful install that a bunch of programs should show up in utilities, but they are not there anymore. I am guessing that the first thing I should try is uninstalling again - maybe I am missing something that I need to uninstall manually because it might be lying around on my computer, corrupt and fouling up a clean reinstall ??? Could you tell me what pgms/dsets to look for and trash before tying to reinstall ? any other ideas? thanks. Happy holidays!
Susan

Hello,

I'd bought earmaster pro 5, and i have exactly the same bug !
Thanks Susan for the perfect description :)

My Macintosh is a Powerbook G4 (power PC + Mac OS X.5)

Thanks to help !
Regards.

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Jan 05, 2009 11:16 am

Hi,

We are working on locating this bug, and it seems somehow EarMaster is unable to initialize Apple's build in synth used to output Midi on some Mac's with PowerPC.

We are scheduling an update for EarMaster in a couple of days, but not until we are sure to have a fix for this.

Thanks for your patience,
Normann

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Jan 09, 2009 4:41 am

Hi,

We have released an update, which fixes the problem on initializing EarMaster on few Mac PowerPC users.

Check for updates through EarMaster's help menu from time to time, and you'll be notified on any minor or major updates.

Enjoy your EarMaster, and best regards,
Normann

olivest
Ear training rookie

Post by olivest » Jan 12, 2009 1:41 am

hello,

Many thanks, it's working fine now ! :-D

slvland
Ear training apprentice

Post by slvland » Jan 12, 2009 4:59 pm

yes, it is working for me too - thanks

saxysm
Ear training expert

Upgrade downloadable?

Post by saxysm » Feb 08, 2009 11:35 am

I have the same problem, but since earmaster won't start up at all, no help menu. Is there a possibility to download the update via browser. (I searched for a link, but found none.)

Cheers, chris

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Feb 09, 2009 1:32 am

Hi Chris,

Yes, there is - go to http://www.earmaster.com/download/index.htm and choose "EarMaster Pro 5.0", and then "Download for Mac OS X".

Best regards,
Normann

saxysm
Ear training expert

Thanks

Post by saxysm » Feb 09, 2009 1:43 am

Thanks Normann, works again :)