Stuck on minor/major third...

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Balthazar
Ear training buff

Stuck on minor/major third...

Post by Balthazar » Oct 18, 2009 2:45 pm

Hey

While most of the exercises in the interval comparison are fairly easy to me, I seem completely stuck on hearing the difference between minor and major third intervals, when played simultaneously (step 18 ). Other intervals, and minor/major third melodic are easy. I think it's been about ten days now, training it a lot, but I don't notice any progress. Should I just keep on trying? Do any of you have tips on this? Any sort of tricks? For instance, remembering songs are a good trick for remembering melodic intervals. Any tips like that on harmonic intervals?

Also: Should I go on like now, and just try and try on step 18, or should I go past step 18 and later come back to it? I've gone past step 18 a few times before, and the exercises after step 18 also seem much easier to me.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 19, 2009 1:49 am

You could maybe try to make a customized exericse where both intervals are included and played melodically and harmonically. Perhaps using template songs to start with might help you memorize each of them, as you suggest.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -