metronome for 6/8

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

ondine
Ear training freshman

metronome for 6/8

Post by ondine » May 29, 2010 2:29 am

Is it possible to make the metronome of Ear Master produce 6 beat (strong-weak-weak-strong-weak-weak) for one measure in 6/8 ?

The standard unit of 6/8 meter should be an eighth note. But it seems that the metronome of Ear master can only produce two dotted quarter note in a measure. ;-(

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » May 31, 2010 12:55 am

Hello,
EarMaster is only marking the first beat in all bar types. It is not usual to do so for 6/8 bars, so it will be changed in v6 (it is already on the to-do list).
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

atfield
Ear training freshman

Same problem

Post by atfield » Jul 24, 2010 11:03 am

I'm seeing the same problem. It is pretty annoying and makes the rhythm training for 6/8 basically useless. This is a bug and please fix it in a v5 update, not v6.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jul 30, 2010 2:48 am

I forgot in my first answer that EarMaster has atually been updated since then. Before, EarMaster was only playing 8th notes, but many teachers have complained about that, because it's not the way you 'feel' and count a 6/8. Actually, when you play a 6/8 bar, you only mark the two beats that are marked by EarMaster. But I must agree wit you that it could be nice to be able to hear the secondary beats, not only the strong beats. However saying it makes the lesson useless is a bit extreme, as it still corresponds to a musical reality.

prz
Ear training apprentice

Is useless for learners

Post by prz » Jun 09, 2011 3:02 am

Let me emphasize that, it's worse than useless, it completely throws me off with the 6/8 exercises so then I don't 'feel' the 3/4 or 4/4 coming up after that.

Bluntly, if I would be a music teacher or could just 'feel' the music, I would not have bought earmaster in first place (which in fact is an excellent product over and over).

Please put the 6/8 metronome emphasizing all the beats back in for us 'nooobs' who must work to become mozart :pirate:

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jun 09, 2011 6:28 am

A good way to understand the 6/8 time signature is to hit the "Play question" button in order to hear EarMaster's interpretation together with the metronome. The rhythm sounds as a 6/8 should, having that very special flowing quality, which it loses if the metronome plays 6 8th and only marks the first beat. It demands some training, but once you stop counting it as two 3/4 and count it as a proper 6/8, it gets much easier and makes much more sense. :-)

prz
Ear training apprentice

Post by prz » Sep 17, 2011 3:51 am

spent good chunk of time on it, still crap, what kills you is that the 6/8 metronome basically stops for 3-4 seconds after lead-in
and then you have to hit the first beat (on imitation). If you just miss it by a fraction of a fraction of a second and then carry that delay into the rhythm it grades all your notes as missed since it's extremely tight on rhythm imitation.
Otherwise you have to try to catch up to the rhythm which is worse than
not learning it at all.

Soo, my call is it's crap the way it is no matter what all the music geniuses think about it. Maybe, just maybe listen to customers and implement some option or something that will at least give me a chance to be on the first 1/8th instead in my head trying to time it without metronome. Otherwise rhythm imitation is basically broken after lesson ~19 in the tutor for all practical purposes. A pity.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Sep 19, 2011 1:40 am

I think the problem resides in the fact that in the first 6/8 lessons, the BPM is set to 45. If it was 90, it would be much easier.