trouble making transposition settings for tenor voice

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

hyphus
Ear training apprentice

trouble making transposition settings for tenor voice

Post by hyphus » Jul 18, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi,

I seek settings which will allow me to practice interval singing as a tenor singer, with the pitches and notation consistent with my voice. Everything the program plays, and everything I sing into the microphone, should be notated an octave lower than the absolute pitch. I'm quite perplexed as to why what I've tried has not worked.

I want the absolute pitches played by EarMaster to be an octave lower than notated, and at the same time, I want the microphone input notated an octave higher than it actually is. When the program plays a C3 and tells me to sing an octave higher, I want it to display C4 as the first note, and when I sing an octave higher (C4 in absolute pitch), I want the program to notate it as if it were C5, and understand the answer as correct.

With the transposition set at -12 (either from the main preferences or the advanced settings: transposition page of the Microphone tuning Wizard for the instrument, EarMaster's question is notated an octave higher than they sound, as desired, but if I sing a note that is an octave higher than the tone that was played (an octave lower than notated) the input is notated as two octaves higher.

If I then attempt to use the "if you are not using a transposing instrument" item on the advanced settings: transposition page of the microphone tuning wizard below the instrument transposition setting to -12, then singing an octave higher into the microphone in response to the question of singing an octave above pitch C3/notated C4 is notated as C4--a unison of the pitch I just sang an octave higher.

To my surprise, setting this same setting to +12 gives me the same results as it was at 0; notes I sing are notated two octaves above. Neither the "any octave" nor not transposing at all helps me with my sight singing or harmonizing with my own voice, which are important goals for me here.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--Chrys

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jul 19, 2010 1:43 am

Hello Chrys,
I think the best person to answer your question is Hans, the main developer of EM, but he is out of office for the rest of the month. I will make sure he comes back to you when he is back.
Best regards,
Quentin
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jul 19, 2010 2:11 am

I answered this in another post:
Go to the Exercise settings menu, and choose ANSWER IDENTIFICATION>ANY OCTAVE

This is an option which forces EM to accept your answer no matter what octave it is sung in.

This is of course just a workaround that you can use until you get an answer to your question.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » Aug 10, 2010 1:41 am

Setting "Transposing instrument" to -12 should do exactly what you want. I just tried it with my own voice and it correctly transcribes the tones I sing one octave hight as it should.
If you find that EarMaster recognize your voice one octave too high, then please use the microphone wizard to adjust it. You can set it to recognize even or odd harmonics and it might solve the problem.

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen
EarMaster