Rhythm reading

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Remcoremcoremco
Ear training buff

Rhythm reading

Post by Remcoremcoremco » Feb 23, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi,

I just started to do rhythm reading exercices, with the space bar. Should I also let Earmaster judge the tone duration? I am learning to play the piano, so I guess it's also important to keep the key pressed for the correct duration.

Is it more difficult if also duration is judged by Earmaster?

And: is entering the rhythm easier with a midi keyboard then with a computer keyboard? (Space bar) I think the spacebar is somewhat inaccurate...

Regards,
Remco

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Feb 24, 2011 1:23 am

Yes it will definitely be easier to use a MIDI keyboard, especially if you are adding duration. Another option is also to clap the rhythm in front of a microphone. It feels more natural, but then you wouldn't be able to add duration to the exercise.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Post by saxmaam » Oct 07, 2011 2:58 am

I was looking at the exercise setup. How do you tell Earmaster to judge duration?

Also, is there a cheap midi keyboard that you recommend? All I'd use it for is EM.

Thanks,

Saxmaam

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 07, 2011 4:28 am

Hi Saxmaam,
In the Exercise Setup window, you can click on "Exercise Control Settings" to access the "Evaluate Note Length" option for the Customized Exercise you are creating.

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Post by saxmaam » Oct 07, 2011 4:51 am

OK. I see that it's in the Exercise Settings pulldown menu rather than the "Exercise Control SEttings Dialog".

But that brings me to my next problem. I've tried using the Ctrl keys as input during the Rhythm Reading exercises, but they don't work at all. Have you encountered this? I'm using Win7, which I suspect may be the problem.

SaxMaam

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 10, 2011 12:52 am

The "Evaluate Note Length" is available from both the Exercise Settings drop-down menu, and from the Exercise Control Settings of the Setup window. The difference is that with the drop-down down menu you are switching the function on-the-fly, whereas the other way enables you to force that function, or to save a specific setup for later use.

The Ctrl button is indeed not working with Windows 7, you can use the space bar or the left mouse button instead.

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Post by saxmaam » Oct 12, 2011 7:26 am

I must be blind. I cannot find the Evaluate Note Length in the Exercise Control Settings for Rhythm Reading.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 13, 2011 1:11 am

Exercise Control Settings are an option in the Pro and School version, they are not included in the Essential version.

In Pro and School, you can access them as follows:

Welcome Screen > Choose "Customized" for training mode, and Rhythm Reading for Exercise Area, click BEGIN.

The Exercise Setup window will open. In the lower right corner of that window, click on "Exercise Control Settings". A new pop-up window will open, in which which you will find the "Evaluate Note Length" setting to the left.

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Post by saxmaam » Oct 13, 2011 3:45 am

I'm using EarMaster Pro build 634PW (just updated).

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 13, 2011 3:59 am

Sincere apologies, it was my mistake. In the Pro version, "Evaluate Note Length" is only available from the Exercise Settings drop-down menu, not from the Exercise Setup window.

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Post by saxmaam » Oct 13, 2011 4:02 am

No problem!

I can't wait to see the new stuff in version 6 :)