pass rate for rhythm reading . . .

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

bbillymac
Ear training enthusiast

pass rate for rhythm reading . . .

Post by bbillymac » Mar 25, 2011 8:46 am

Hi all,
I'm new to ear master and am at the very beginning. I just got 89% in lesson 3 for rhythm reading and the standard tutor told me I need more practice! This seems to be a really high bar. Do I need to be this accurate? If I do I'm cool with that, but it seems kind of harsh. :laugh3:

Anyway, am enjoying the program and feel more musical already. Or at least I feel I'm tackling the beast that I always hid from before and that alone has helped my confidence. I'm a guitar player working through Mel Bay's wonderful (but old) guitar method.

Bill in Indy

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Mar 25, 2011 8:54 am

Hi Bill,
Try to use the rhythm reading exercise with microphone input as answering method in order to clap the rhythms with your hand. It feels more natural than the space bar of the computer. If you have a Mac, you can use the built-in mic, it works great, if you are on Windows, you can connect a microphone of your choice, even a headset mic should work fine. :-)
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

bbillymac
Ear training enthusiast

Thanks Quenten, but about my question . . .

Post by bbillymac » Mar 26, 2011 7:59 am

Yes I have actually been using a headphone mic and clapping, and it works, and I'm consistently late. But 89% seems to be a good score. Or maybe I'm just used to these easy American schools! :-D By the way Quenten, are you the only guy over there that speaks english? I don't think I've seen anybody else replying to 'official' earmaster questions. Your english is outstanding by the way. Any earmaster people from Indy?

Bill in Indy

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Mar 28, 2011 1:00 am

Everybody at the office speaks English, and it has actually become our daily language at work instead of Danish, as some of our new colleagues don't speak Danish. Most of our staff are programmers though, so they are too busy writing code to write in the forum. I, on the other hand, take care of marketing and sales, and helping users in the forum is one of my daily tasks :-) . You will however sometimes meet Hans too on the forum from time to time, and Tonny writes on the Spanish-speaking forum.

There are many thousands of native English-speakers using EarMaster, most of them being from the US, and then countless non-native participating in the English-language forums, but people tend to be better at asking questiosn than answering them :D , which is understandable.

prz
Ear training apprentice

Post by prz » Sep 17, 2011 4:00 am

I find melodic dictation grading is actually quite relaxed, the imitation is really tight. When on dictation you're 1/16 off it basically marks it as cool.
On imitation if you're even 1/32 or so on certain patterns, you're back in the doghouse. If anything relax the imitation a tad.

With the reading I have another gripe. It's really hard on long patterns when the line jumps. It can be a pause or just a legato 1/16 with something. It's very hard to go those 4-5 lines and remember whether there is a note immediately in the next line or not. Maybe having a greyed out 'ghost' of half of the next line bar right after the last bar in the line would be a solution so you have that little breathing room to jump to next line ?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Sep 19, 2011 1:23 am

These are aspects we are working on: trying to have a more progressive evaluation of the answers in rhythm training (i.e. starting more 'relaxed') and making reading exercises easier to use.

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Post by saxmaam » Sep 30, 2011 4:13 am

Wow, my experience has been the opposite. Sometimes the rhythm reading exercise gives me a pass on a question when I've completely failed to enter a note, or I've put in an extra note. I started with normal grading and switched to severe because I think it's important to get every note.