EM and Aug Triad. Wrong Notation!?

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

dfgdfg
Ear training rookie

EM and Aug Triad. Wrong Notation!?

Post by dfgdfg » Apr 10, 2011 8:30 am

Today I've tried to use EM for the first time. I don't actually know much about music theory, so sorry and correct me please if i'm wrong.

Here is the pic. It's Augmented Triad:

The left one is EarMaster version, the right one i've just drawn using photoshop.

I think it's not right put fifth on the F line here, because the intervals have the same quantity no matter what kind of triad it is.
Isn't it?

PS.. Don't pay attention to my English, please ;-)

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » Apr 11, 2011 5:40 am

The correct notation is the one to the right and that is also the one EarMaster uses in the Chord identification exercise.
I wonder how you made it transcribe the chord you show to the left?

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen
EarMaster

dfgdfg
Ear training rookie

Post by dfgdfg » Apr 11, 2011 8:17 am

Hans wrote: I wonder how you made it transcribe the chord you show to the left?
It's not me. I've just pressed keys on my midi keyboard. So EM made the left one.
(I hope I understand the question correctly :-) )

I also noticed the following - "right notes, but wrong notation" or something..
Again I've used the keyboard for answer. It's kind of weird - program makes it itself and then tell me about "wrong notation".

Do I imagine the possibilities of this program properly? Can it make a right notation when I press keys on my midi-keyboard?

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » Apr 11, 2011 11:33 pm

Ok, then I understand. Since MIDI does not contain information about notation, EarMaster has to guess what notation you wanted. Right now it just chooses the most direct tone, which in some situation does not give the correct notation.
You identified the tones correctly, which is the purpose of the exercise, but the notation should be different to be theoretical correct. However, even though EarMaster says "wrong notation", your score will not be reduced. It is only an extra information for you, so you don't need to worry about it.

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen
EarMaster

dfgdfg
Ear training rookie

Post by dfgdfg » Apr 12, 2011 7:54 am

OK. I'll be waiting for new MIDI Protocol, which would send events directly from a brain. :laugh3:

Thanks so much. Great program, Great forum and support)). All the best!