math problem, i think, with 6/8 time

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

bbillymac
Ear training enthusiast

math problem, i think, with 6/8 time

Post by bbillymac » May 18, 2011 8:37 am

Hi all,

Quick question. I'm working on rhythm and can't quite get my mind around the metronome counting for 6/8 time. I understand that there are 6 beats per measure, and an 8th note gets one beat. But up comes the metornome in 2/4 at 45 bpm. I have the feeling this is a pretty stupid question, but . . . . could you please explain the subdivision for me? (I know I need an instructor and am working on finding somebody, but in the meantime, earmaster is it. :-)

Thanks,

Bill in Indy

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » May 19, 2011 12:39 am

In 6/8, if you subdivide it in eighths, there are 2 "strong" beats: 1 and 4. Thsi is what is played by the metronome.

It is then up to you to
* Add eights and count it straight (1 - ta- ta - 2 - ta -ta)
* Count it as Quarter note + eighth (1 - ta - 2 - ta)
* Subdivide it as dotted eighth + eigth + sixteenth for each of the two parts

There are other ways to subdivide the two parts of a 6/8. The main idea is to get a 'feel' of 6/8 time signature, which should not have the same effect as simply two 3/4.

EarMaster's metronome used to play 6/8 with 6 eighths notes, but many music teachers and users told us they simply couldn't feel 6/8 that way. Hopefully in future versions, we will be able to offer several types of subdivisions.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -