odd chord nomenclature "m7b5maj7th"

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

gregmac
Ear training apprentice

odd chord nomenclature "m7b5maj7th"

Post by gregmac » Jun 05, 2011 1:45 am

Has anybody actually ever seen any reference anywhere else in jazz literature for the chord named minor7b5maj7th that comes up in the earmaster jazz tutor for chord recognition? As far as I know there is know such chord. It should probably just be a diminished triad with a major7th which is a fairly well acknowledged chord name in jazz education. Of course I could be wrong.

cheers Greg

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jun 06, 2011 1:24 am

Where did you see that chord in EarMaster?
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jun 06, 2011 1:38 am

Are you perhaps referring to mMaj7(b5) (called mi,Maj7(b5) in EarMaster)?

gregmac
Ear training apprentice

Post by gregmac » Jun 07, 2011 5:58 am

Actually you are probably right but even so it' still pretty odd nomenclature. I would be interested to know is there a parent scale for that chord and which theory book/school of music/university etc the name was used in?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jun 07, 2011 6:31 am

I am not familiar with the source of that nomenclature, as I assume it was added by the ear training educator that created the Jazz tutor, Martin Granum from the Jutland Music Conservatory (Det Jyske Musikkonservatorium) of Århus, Denmark.

gregmac
Ear training apprentice

Post by gregmac » Jun 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Interesting, I sure he is an expert. Just to my memory and all the study I've done, this is not a standard way of naming a chord. As far as I can see the chord name min,maj7b5 falls outside of that (versus dim,maj7). It may well be derived from another scale aside from major, melodic and harmonic minor, whole-tone, diminished.