Have you finished a tutor module? Post here

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Have you finished a tutor module? Post here

Post by saxmaam » Dec 22, 2011 4:58 am

I was thinking it would be nice for users to post their thoughts when they finish a Tutor series.

For example, I've finished the Interval Comparison and Interval Recognition series of the Standard Tutor.

For a while, Interval Comparison is easier than Interval Recognition, but at a certain point I had to recognize both intervals before I could compare their sizes.

The only other one I'm close on is Rhythm Correction of the Standard Tutor (lesson 54). It's so hard that it's kind of funny! My scores on 3 different days are 81%, 79%, and 83%. So I'm not sure if I'm making progress or not, but it seems like mentally I'm organizing and understanding more.

Are there any other "graduates" out there who would like to chime in?

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Rhythm Correction - Jazz Tutor

Post by saxmaam » Jan 05, 2012 5:37 am

While visiting family I went through all the levels of the Rhythm Correction Jazz Tutor. Great stuff. Thoughts
  • * At first I thought Rhythm Correction was a pretty weak exercise since you aren't producing the rhythms yourself. Now I like it for the way it helps you embed the correct sounds of rhythms in your head.

* The exercise would be much harder, and I think better, if I didn't know exactly how many errors to expect. Maybe the setup could include a range of errors instead of an exact number.

* Focus on one exercise for a while can be a good thing

* When the errors are close together, I have to listen repeatedly

*It's not the intellectual understanding that needs to be trained here, so much as getting the sounds so ingrained that we can keep up with things that happen very fast

* The fast rhythms are actually fun to listen to! This may say more about me than about anything else

* As usual, the last level was crazy hard. I got a series of dismal scores and then suddenly scored 98%.

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Chord Progressions Standard Tutor

Post by saxmaam » Feb 14, 2012 5:00 am

So I finished the Chord Progressions Standard Tutor this morning.

I think I still have a long way to go before I can follow the chord progressions in the music I listen to.

Next step is the Jazz Tutor. Then maybe I'll run through them both again.

I have some ideas about chord progressions training that doesn't fit into the current Earmaster paradigm. But I'm pretty sure they could help me progress faster, if implemented. If version 6 doesn't include them when it comes out, I'll be pestering Quentin with my ideas.