Interval identification lesson 23

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Interval identification lesson 23

Post by Guest » Feb 16, 2006 3:34 pm

"Try to listen to the intervals in the context of the key"

What that this means?

I can tell wich interval is, but I don't hear anything related to the cadence played before the question.

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » Feb 22, 2006 8:14 am

This is to develop your musicality further. If you hear the tones E and G, then the first step is to identify the interval as a minor third. However, if the tones are a part of a melodi in a certain key then it is important to know where the tones are in the key.
In C major, the tones D-F and the tones E-G are both minor third intervals, but their "sound" or function in the key are different because the first interval is from step II to IV and the other interval is from step III to V.

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen
EarMaster

Post by Guest » Feb 25, 2006 6:30 pm

I see. Thanks for the explanation :D

Caleb9
Ear training apprentice

Post by Caleb9 » Mar 12, 2010 6:29 am

Hi. I have exactly the same problem, so I dug up this thread, but I'm still unsure what is the correct approach to this and the following lessons.
When the interval is played after the cadence, I can usually identify it correctly - so step 1 is done. But then how should I identify it in the context of the key? Just with ears (which I think implies that I have to identify intervals from both notes to the root of the scale)? So far I've been looking on the scale's transcription, or counting in my head the relationship to the root, as the first note of the interval is visible on the staff and guitar/piano.
Example: in Bb major scale if the first interval's note is F, and I can hear Major 3rd, I'm just counting Bb, C, D, Eb, F (5th scale degree), G, A (F+2 steps = 7th scale degree), Bb.
However I suspect this is wrong way to do it, because I don't see a reason to pay any attention to the cadence - just checking the signature key and one of the notes, identifying the interval and the rest is pure theory. Can anyone enlighten me if this is the right approach or am I misunderstanding something? Thanks in advance.

Caleb9
Ear training apprentice

Post by Caleb9 » Mar 15, 2010 6:22 am

*bump*
Is my description too blurry or does no one really knows this? :-?

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » Mar 18, 2010 5:40 am

Yes this is the correct approach. After some time of practice you no longer need to sing and count the tones from the root, as you will be able to hear the scale steps immediately.

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen
EarMaster

Caleb9
Ear training apprentice

Post by Caleb9 » Mar 18, 2010 9:09 am

...and then listening to the cadence will make sense. Thank you :)