Sight-Singing and Transcribing Melodies

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Jason Sioco
Ear training buff

Sight-Singing and Transcribing Melodies

Post by Jason Sioco » May 17, 2015 7:37 pm

I recently purchased EarMaster Pro 6 and its on the way. The reason why I purchased the program is because of its sight-singing feature. I did sight-singing at school and I did terrible with the sight-singing component, but I was fascinated by it. I was fascinated because, I saw some famous instrumentalists like Victor Wooten, Janek Gwizdalala, Steve Vai etc, who sings and simultaneously play on their instrument what they sing.

My goal is to instantly recognize melodies, just by listening. I have been with musicians, who harness that skill. I felt that singing the pitches and internalizing them will help me with that, but I am not sure.

Does sight-singing help with transcribing melodies?

Niclas
EarMaster.com

Re: Sight-Singing and Transcribing Melodies

Post by Niclas » May 18, 2015 5:16 am

Hi Jason

It is great to hear about your excitement about sight-singing, and i am certain that it will help you with transcribing melodies as well, since it will increase your general understanding of reading melodies efficiently. There is also an exercise in EarMaster called melodic dictation, where you have to write the melody that is played for you, which will definitely help you with transcribing.

-Niclas