Training: Can i study a "couple" of notes at a time?

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

trilfiger
Ear training apprentice

Training: Can i study a "couple" of notes at a time?

Post by trilfiger » Nov 01, 2015 11:23 pm

just simply wondering if there is a way for me to just study a couple keys at a time. for example [c,d,e] so i can master the tones of these first 3 keys. then move on to the rest when i feel like im ready.

if you do know how to customize your keys that you want to study, please drop knowledge on me. much appreciated.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Training: Can i study a "couple" of notes at a time?

Post by Quentin » Nov 02, 2015 6:20 am

Hello,

This can be done in multiple ways. The most straight forward is to:
1. Choose Customized Activity as Training mode, Melodic Dictation as activity, and click begin.
2. Set up your melodic dictation as in the attached pictured. The main idea is that you create a custom scale with the exact tones you want to train with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

trilfiger
Ear training apprentice

Post by trilfiger » Nov 02, 2015 11:40 am

appreciate the answer, but it seems like that didn't neccesairly answer my question. check out this example for me.

link:
http://www.teoria.com/en/exercises/ne.php

you can simply choose what keys you want to study. is there anything like this in earmaster?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Nov 03, 2015 4:00 am

I checked the link you sent. I guess it could be useful for quick setups of absolute pitch testing without pedagogical strategy, it's very straight-forward. You can do the exact same thing in the screenshot of my previous post, and also add many other options such as defining in which keys the notes will be played in, whether you want to transpose them to specific pitch ranges, how you want to identify them (by absolute note name like C-D-E, with scale degrees, with a piano, a guitar, by singing them, or with relative somisation, etc.).

EarMaster's focus is mostly to offer a step-by-step approach to ear training with pedagogical insight. It helps you build up your skills in a structured way and learn to connect theory wiht sound. But you can easily configure it in "Customized Activity" mode, to do more or else anything you want (except perhaps making coffee :D ).

PS: I removed the new thread you created with the link to the page you just linked to, as it was a duplicate of your last post.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Nov 03, 2015 4:41 am

To mimick the exercise of your link, you can do like this:

trilfiger
Ear training apprentice

Post by trilfiger » Nov 07, 2015 10:00 pm

wow man, preciate that. you even made a short video to give support to this specific cause. thats wassup :shock: ! much love, keep doing what your doing man, good things finna happen to you bro

trilfiger
Ear training apprentice

Post by trilfiger » Nov 24, 2015 10:06 pm

another question about this situation, how do i keep up with my results?

meaning: everytime i check my results for the "customized activities you help me set up" most of the time it does not record what i put in..

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Nov 25, 2015 3:17 am

In Customized Activity mode, EarMaster will ask you if you want to save your results when you start a new exercise or when you close the software.

In Course mode, results are saved automatically after 3 questions.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the results window offers several filters: Activities (the star-shaped icon displays results for all activities), date, training mode, etc. All filters are shown right above the detailed stats.