Intervals in a diatonic context or "straight"?

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

ankan

Intervals in a diatonic context or "straight"?

Post by ankan » Jun 13, 2006 2:26 am

I try to fix my ear etc etc & blah blah blah...
The question is: Is it better to start learning intervals in a diatonic context or in a "straight" mode? For example, in the Major scale I can identify the
I <-> IV and the V <-> octave. I can say (let's assume we are in C Major) "ok, this is C-F, this is G-C", they are both perfect 4ths but sound different. It's difficult for me to identify e.g. the D-G or the E-A, they are perfect 4ths too but my ear is not yet familiar with them. Is it better to train to identify all the possible steps in a scale and then try to "measure" them (I heard C-A it's eehhh.... a Major 6th!) or to leearn the inervals as they are?

Waigin
Ear training grand master

Post by Waigin » Jun 13, 2006 2:37 am

Start with the "Straight" mode and later add the diatonic. IMHO.

Post by Guest » Jun 14, 2006 1:02 pm

Identifying scale degrees is another skill different to identifying intervals, if you try to develope both at the same time is obviously harder.

First try intervals, then learn to identify scale degrees, and then do the two things at a time.

Bojan
Ear training grand master

interval identification

Post by Bojan » Jun 27, 2006 6:00 am

If you ask me, you should do both things a bit, a bit of non diatonic and a bit of diatonic interval identification, switching, because doing so you will get a feel of both of them, and you will realize that diatonic way of looking to intervals is just one and in the modern music surpassed system of intervals for building a melody.
Official Serbian translator