preferred device to tap in rhythms

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

salemarino
Ear training rookie

preferred device to tap in rhythms

Post by salemarino » Sep 24, 2019 12:07 am

Hello to everyone.
I know that usually, clap hand is used to tap the rhythms. But i find it is a really clumsy, awkward way to do the job.
Try to tap in some not so fast (example 80 bpm) 16th with pause note configuration, and you will see...
I usually used a little paper box with inside glued a large piezo pickup i had for other purposes, and i tap on it with fingers of right hand. I have to build a better box, may be with inside some material to absorbe excess sound, but it works! I made also comparison with capsula mic, and it (the piezo) have better signal and response.
And so, also if i found solution for myself, i wanted to raise the question, and may be we will find the best solution for this, or listen some interesting opinion about.
I have just seen a video on Earmaster page about using a keyboard controller to tap in the rhythms. I had never seen it before, and it seems to response very well to the touch. Any impressions about?

Sorry for my bad english

thanks in advance for all your hints...
Luigi

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: preferred device to tap in rhythms

Post by Quentin » Sep 24, 2019 2:39 am

Hi Luigi,

The piezo box is a really good idea. I remember tapping rhythms on a headstock-mounted guitar tuner also, and it worked great as well.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -