Advice on Approaching The Material

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Vashondan
Ear training rookie

Advice on Approaching The Material

Post by Vashondan » Oct 24, 2019 6:00 am

I'm just starting to focus on ear training. So far I've downloaded the free version of the software and tried identifying intervals which was a real challenge for me even minor third vs major. How would you suggest beginning to use the material (e.g. start with the beginner course) or when approaching interval identification what's a good way to approach beginning. For example I was attempting major minor 3rds. What would be systematic approach to interval identification?

Hope thats clear. Thanks

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Advice on Approaching The Material

Post by Quentin » Oct 25, 2019 2:40 am

Welcome to the forum :)

The Beginner's Course has been conceived as a smooth approach to ear training and music theory, so it is indeed what we would suggest that you start off with. Interval ear training is introduced in that course progressively together with other topics such as rhythm, Major vs. minor, scale tones, etc.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Vashondan
Ear training rookie

Re: Advice on Approaching The Material

Post by Vashondan » Oct 25, 2019 4:05 am

Quentin wrote:
> Welcome to the forum :)
>
> The Beginner's Course has been conceived as a smooth approach to ear
> training and music theory, so it is indeed what we would suggest that you
> start off with. Interval ear training is introduced in that course
> progressively together with other topics such as rhythm, Major vs. minor,
> scale tones, etc.

OK, Thanks, I'll check it out. I know a lot of the basic theory material but maybe it will help me transition to the direct ear training that I've avoided for so long!