Sight singing available?

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Monique
Ear training rookie

Sight singing available?

Post by Monique » Mar 15, 2007 7:58 am

I may have missed it, but I would love to practice sight singing with EarMasterPro5 using the microphone - not just the intervals, but melodies. Is this possibility hidden away somewhere or ...? Everything else has proved so useful, but with an exam coming, this is what I missed all of a sudden.

Henrik
EarMaster.com

Post by Henrik » Mar 16, 2007 1:34 am

Hi Monique,

Unfortunately, sight singing is not an option in EarMaster. You can, however, practise interval singing. Example: A tone (D) is being played and EarMaster says: "Sing the perfect fifth above D".

You can also use this exercise to learn to spell intervals. If you answer the question using one of the other answer input methods then this exercise becomes an "Interval spelling" exercise.

Sight singing is definitely something we will consider for the next version of EarMaster.

Henrik
EarMaster

Monique
Ear training rookie

Sight singing available?

Post by Monique » Mar 16, 2007 1:43 am

Hi Henrik,
Thank you!
I do find the interval singing execise very helpful. I'll certainly be looking forward to the inclusion of melody exercises, though. I think EarMaster will then be very complete and unbeatable as an effective and to-the-point learning software. :-)
Happy programming,
Monique

paulstapp
Ear training buff

Post by paulstapp » Jun 21, 2007 11:31 am

Hello EarMaster Henrik,

I too would like to see the melody exercises in you next version.
Keep at it,
Paul Stappenbeck

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Melody/sight singing ...

Post by saxmaam » Oct 12, 2007 10:47 am

me too!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 15, 2007 12:33 am

We will definitely try to add that to the version 6 of EarMaster :-D
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Gaspard
Ear training freshman

Post by Gaspard » Mar 01, 2010 11:35 pm

Sorry to post on an old thread - is this now part of Earmaster, and if not, when will it be included (as I already have intervals from the Solfege program in Linux)?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Mar 02, 2010 3:19 am

Hi,
Sight-singing is very likely to be available in version 6 (under developement). However, there is a lot more to EarMaster 5 than interval exercises! You can for instance sight-read and clap back rhythms in your hands in real time and be evaluated, sing scales, answer to melodic dictations interactively (not writing down your answer on paper and checking it afterwards with the answer 8-| ), etc... It's free to try, so I definitely think you should have a look at it :-)

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jan 23, 2013 4:08 am

A short update for this thread: Sight-singing has now been added to EarMaster (version 6).

The pitch detection algorithm has been updated and it's now more precise and much faster than in previous versions. The evaluation of the answer is immediate, and a pitch curve can be drawn on the staff to see your performance. You can also listen to your answers as they were recorded by EarMaster, and compare them to the correct answer. Many things to explore and even more opportunities to become a better musician :-)