4th 5th tritone

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

sven
Ear training apprentice

4th 5th tritone

Post by sven » Apr 25, 2007 3:07 am

hello,

i'm having trouble with thr interval comparison ex(name biggest interval). I can't seem to make the distinction between 4th 5th and tritone. Any tips ?

Bojan
Ear training grand master

Difference between 4th, 5th and tritone

Post by Bojan » Apr 26, 2007 1:14 am

I had the same trouble with identifying 4th and 5th, even today I have to concentrate pretty much to differ them. But as for the tritone, that was always very easy for me, as the tritone has a disgusting sound, as if the two intervals just don't fit in, don't go along (either melodic or harmonic). Listen carefully, first how the 4th sounds and compare it to tritone, and then compare the 5th to tritone. You will notice the difference, tritone doesn't sound as pleasing to your ear. (That's why they called the tritone "the devil's tone" in the medieval times.)

Now for the 4th and 5th, it's a bit harder. You need to find songs that begin with these intervals and remember them, so that you can use them as help when identifying. First, take one diatonic scale (major, minor, doesn't matter), and try to notice how the 4th / 5th sound like. After just a little time of intense listening you will see that the 5th sounds little more harmonic (because of some math behind it, it corresponds to 3:2 ratio in the comparable just intonation, whereas the 4th corresponds to 4:3 ratio). Yeah, this sure helps, you'll probably say... OK, the 5th sounds more stable, and should therefore be easier to recognize. Just keep those songs as examples in mind, and it will help. Some practicing, and that will do it.

Also, read what other users say about differing these intervals in the "difference between a perfect 4 and perfect 5" topic.
Official Serbian translator