dissecting/putting the song back together

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Bojan
Ear training grand master

Post by Bojan » Aug 02, 2007 9:42 am

This is to everyone: Normally, in music theory you are suppose to analyze the song by dissecting all its parts (intro, verse, chorus, bridge, etc.), and than use this knowledge to bring the song back to one whole. But the problem I have is that once I dissect the song into its parts, the song is ruined for me, all I see is parts that are crappy, and I don't enjoy the song like I used to. So what I try to do to avoid this is to learn the song as a unity, and only that way I'm able to still enjoy it afterwards. But that is the harder way... Does anyone have any constructive ideas to help me overcome this?
Official Serbian translator

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Aug 03, 2007 2:00 am

I can feel the same frustration when listening to standard rock or blues. But then I just think it's standard writing and I try not to mind too much the simple and predictable structures.

In case of more elaborate music, being conscious of the whole structure of a song usually gives more sense to it, especially if the music is pleasant to hear. But I have to agree with you: it kills the thrill.... :-(

My advice to you would be: NEVER try to analyse music you like! :D
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Bojan
Ear training grand master

Post by Bojan » Jun 07, 2008 4:11 am

Back after a while. Now stronger to confront the same issue - that of analyzing a song without ruining it and killing all the pleasure of unknown. So I came to the conclusion: when I have to analyze a certain song, I'll do it only to memorize parts and to be able to replay it, and then that's it, I will immediately forget about all the bridges, verses and things, once I memorize the song as a whole, I won't care any more about parts. And then just enjoy the song that I have memorized...
Official Serbian translator

Patricio
Ear training jedi

Post by Patricio » Jun 09, 2008 1:16 am

I think that the best way is to learn a number and then "forget" it... if you try to analyse part to part the number miss the "soul"..It´s really better to learn the song as a whole. That´s normally what I try with my students, they learn the music and then I ask them to to concentrate in the musicality involved not in the possible mistakes they will do from playing a number they just learned.

EarMaster Aps.
Patricio Moya Obel
EarMaster Aps

"Porque en música todos somos oídos"