How long is it taing people to get through the excercises.

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Greenstratman
Ear training apprentice

How long is it taing people to get through the excercises.

Post by Greenstratman » Aug 11, 2007 3:06 am

Hi

I've just started using EM again after a few years break.

How long is it taking people to get through the interval comparison program? I've been stuck on maj/min 3rd for some time. I'm finding sometimes I can hear the interval and other times I can't. It's the harmonizing one that poses the greatest problem. Sometimes both intervals sound the same.(ex 18)

I'm going to stick with it this time, hopefully!

Thanks

Kevin.

mpl
Ear training buff

Post by mpl » Aug 12, 2007 6:29 am

Dear Greenstratman,

I highly encourage You to identify intervals using melodies at first, then move on to scales. Just sing the melody from the 1st sound given, if it sounds strange, it's not that interval. Takes a little practice, but once You know the melody really good You should be able to recognize this.

Here's a really great topic with interval examples (I posted mine as well): http://www.earmaster.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=623. Although I keep hearing the earlier You start to identify intervals by singing scales from one sound to the other the better.

Michal

Bojan
Ear training grand master

getting through the interval identification exercise

Post by Bojan » Aug 12, 2007 1:55 pm

Yap, I had the same trouble with intervals. At first, I was having a hard time to establish whether I hear minor or major 3rd, than after I while it was quite easy, you just use a melody from a song you know, and you ear gets used to that sound; again the story repeats at 4th and 5th, major/minor 6th a major/minor 7th, and once you reach the above-octave range, you practically did it. I think it took me good three to four weeks.
Official Serbian translator