Bug in build 578P... I think

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

mpl
Ear training buff

Bug in build 578P... I think

Post by mpl » Aug 13, 2007 4:26 am

Hello,

I think I just found a bug in EarMaster Pro 5 build 578P. When studying lesson 24 of Interval Identification in Standard Tutor, I was given notes F# and G, of which only G comes to my head when thinking Bb major scale.

Here's the screen:

If I am right, the Bb major scales consists of: Bb, C, D, D#, F, G, and A.

Please help me solve my problem,
Michal

Bojan
Ear training grand master

it's not a bug, you are answering the wrong way

Post by Bojan » Aug 13, 2007 3:06 pm

Hi Michael (is it Michael or Michal on Polish?), I think this is not a bug - you entered just the second note, G, and skipped the first, F#. In order to give the complete answer, you need to enter them both. Although you are right about the scale B major, it goes like that, only spelled correctly goes this way: Bb, C, D, Eb, F, G, A, Bb. But when you're asked for an interval, you don't always have the exact tones of the scale the question has been asked in, just think chromatically, and count the number of half steps an interval consists of. But even if it is a bug, just use the latest update, 608.
Official Serbian translator

mpl
Ear training buff

Post by mpl » Aug 14, 2007 2:56 am

Bojan,

It took me 30 seconds to decide whether that was D# or Eb (finally went with D# because we were going up).

Anyway, I thought the aim of this lesson was to think tonally and use solfage syllables to express the differences. I think I'll have to either update my thinking or the program though :)

I am still a bit confused, so probably best would be if You explained to me what was the real aim of this exercise.

Michał
(that's my name in its truest Polish form)