Purpose of sharp and flat symbols in Scale Identification

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

TimTheTenor
Ear training apprentice

Purpose of sharp and flat symbols in Scale Identification

Post by TimTheTenor » Dec 31, 2021 5:10 pm

Sorry about all the questions. I hope they might be helpful to other users. Just to be clear, I'm very happy with EarMaster! Just bought it a couple of days ago. It would be a bargain at two or three times the price! The user interface is very good. Mostly easy and intuitive.

I'm on the first couple of lessons of "scale identification." When I click on "new question," a line of five symbols shows up in the lower left part of the window: double flat, flat, natural, sharp, and double sharp. When I choose my answer, they disappear, then reappear when I click on "new question" again. They highlight when I click on them. I tried to figure out what they do, by trial and error, but I am stumped. What are they for?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Purpose of sharp and flat symbols in Scale Identification

Post by Quentin » Jan 03, 2022 4:52 am

Hi,

They "belong" to the notation staff, meaning that if you enter your answers by inserting notes on the staff, you have the possibility to specify which alteration should be used by selecting it prior to inserting a note. The highlighted alteration in the alteration toolbar is the one which is currently active and which will be inserted when you click on the notation staff.

This will become more evident in exercises where note input on the staff is more obvious and comprehensive, as in Melodic Dictation where you will also be able to select note values, dotted notes, ties, etc.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -