What is the reference note?

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

STITCH
Ear training enthusiast

What is the reference note?

Post by STITCH » Aug 22, 2008 1:05 am

It should be obvious I am completely new at this eartraining thing so hopefully my question is not too basic.
Having mastered to some degree the different intervals both ascending and descending ( a hell of a lot tougher) :-( I am trying to recognise interval relationships in songs. I realise there is an immediate problem: Do you try to identify the interval from the previous note or the interval from the root( ie key) note of the song? Since the "sense' of the song is in the key it is played. I find it difficult to keep shifting for every note if I don't refer to the root.
What is the easiest and correct way to do this? Am I anywhere near doing it correctly at all?
Thanks for any input.
greetings from the nth grandson of Pikaia gracilens

Patricio
Ear training jedi

Post by Patricio » Sep 01, 2008 6:07 am

Hi :o)...

dont worry about asking basic questions, that´s what we are for...

normally () you take as reference the two forst notes you sing/play in a nember as interval reference, I can give you an exemple:

Michaels Jacksons "Thriller" is an 2nd descending interval, it´s does not matter in which key or root you ar playing, it´s gonna always be a 2nd interval... or Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2 that is a 6th, you can listen to it her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRO05WcNDk

The ways you get an interval reference from a song are differents from one musician to an other, try to finde the way that works best for you, but remember how important is that you kan also "forget" the song and keep this reference as independant unit, or in otherwise you will only remember the interval throug the song and that´s not a good ting.

hope my answer will help you..

grettings..
Patricio Moya Obel
EarMaster Aps

"Porque en música todos somos oídos"

STITCH
Ear training enthusiast

Post by STITCH » Sep 01, 2008 8:05 pm

Thank you.

I imagine I would have to progress very slowly through this :laugh3:

Basically, if I understand you correctly, each relationship of two notes are to be treated as separate entities or units as you proceed through the song or piece. That is, if there are four notes ABCD in sequence you would have to treat them as AB, BC, and CD and identify each interval as you go along.

What is the earmaster module that best train you for these sequential recognition?

I thought it might help if you have a module that starts with one interval and then linking it with another and another and so on. Maybe start with a sequence of two and add on the number of sequences as you get better.
Start with whole notes, perhaps, then smaller divisions and then mixing them up etc.
greetings from the nth grandson of Pikaia gracilens