Expected date for High Sierra Compatability

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

mmason
Ear training rookie

Expected date for High Sierra Compatability

Post by mmason » Sep 24, 2017 10:40 pm

I received the email about Earmaster not being compatible and was wondering what "We will make sure that the next major version of EarMaster is compatible with macOS 10.13 High Sierra and doesn't run into the same problem." means in practice, does this mean we have to wait for Earmaster 7 or Earmaster 6.x? Any timeline for update?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Expected date for High Sierra Compatability

Post by Quentin » Sep 25, 2017 4:04 am

Hi,

We are still working on EarMaster 7 and it's a complete rewrite of the software. It will not be possible to make EarMaster 6 work on 10.13 unfortunately. We are doing everything we can to have v7 out before the end of the year.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

mmason
Ear training rookie

Post by mmason » Sep 25, 2017 10:49 pm

Just for clarification, does that mean I have to pay for a new version of Earmaster in order to have it work with my mac, should I choose to update?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Sep 26, 2017 2:46 am

The upgrade is free for licenses bought after May 1, 2017, and at a discounted price for licenses bought prior to that date.

jacobkoch
Ear training freshman

Post by jacobkoch » Sep 29, 2017 12:27 am

How much will an update cost for those of us who purchased version 6 before that date?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Sep 29, 2017 2:45 am

We have not set final prices yet, but I can guarantee you that it will not be over half the price of a regular license.

Andi
Ear training freshman

Post by Andi » Oct 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Quentin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are still working on EarMaster 7 and it's a complete rewrite of the
> software. It will not be possible to make EarMaster 6 work on 10.13
> unfortunately. We are doing everything we can to have v7 out before the end
> of the year.

You you basically tell us, that we can't use earmaster anymore on macs? a program i paid for two computers? a progam i need everyday because i'm studying music. you are telling me that i have to wait a couple of months until i can use it again? so you're telling me i have to by a 3rd computer with windows, just to use your program in the middle of my exams?
all my other programs are running without any problems on high sierra, and even have new features i also need for my work.

do you have a solution?????????? currently i'm in a very very bad mood and expect an immediate reply.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 03, 2017 1:35 am

Hi Andi,

I guess you are the same that wrote an email to us. We just replied to you there. Since it can also apply to other users who have already updated their Mac to 10.13, here is what we wrote to you:

"Hello Andi,

I understand your disappointment. Unfortunately, nothing but a complete rewrite could make EarMaster 6 work on 10.13. Since already updated your Mac to 10.13, we can give you access to the BETA version of EarMaster 7 until it is available. EarMaster 7 is still in development, but it is absolutely functional. When EarMaster 7 is out later this year, you can get it for free if you bought your v6 license after May 1, 2017, or at a discounted price (most likely half price) if you bought it before that.

If you would like to get access to the BETA of EarMaster 7, please let me know."

Jonasslavensky
Ear training rookie

Post by Jonasslavensky » Oct 03, 2017 7:51 am

Hi.
Love Earmaster, using it everyday..
I can wait on v7 to be released, but I'm NOT okay with paying for that update!
I bought the version 6 teachers edition about a year ago and it was not cheap.. Now I have to pay more again in order to use the product i "just" bought!!!!!?
I don't care that the costs of the update are less than half the price! You are cheating your customers!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 04, 2017 5:46 am

I am sorry you are feeling that way. We are definitely not cheating our customers, your license is still valid and will remain so. A solution can be to make a partition on your HD with a supported version of the OS (10.6-->10.12) to run EarMaster 6. Please feel welcome to get in touch directly if you have specific questions: support@earmaster.com

david.hnatt
Ear training freshman

Post by david.hnatt » Oct 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Quentin wrote:
> Hi Andi,
>
> I guess you are the same that wrote an email to us. We just replied to you
> there. Since it can also apply to other users who have already updated
> their Mac to 10.13, here is what we wrote to you:
>
> "Hello Andi,
>
> I understand your disappointment. Unfortunately, nothing but a complete
> rewrite could make EarMaster 6 work on 10.13. Since already updated your
> Mac to 10.13, we can give you access to the BETA version of EarMaster 7
> until it is available. EarMaster 7 is still in development, but it is
> absolutely functional. When EarMaster 7 is out later this year, you can get
> it for free if you bought your v6 license after May 1, 2017, or at a
> discounted price (most likely half price) if you bought it before that.
>
> If you would like to get access to the BETA of EarMaster 7, please let me
> know."

Hello,

can I also have BETA version ? I just bought Earmaster 6 and its not working on my OS High Siera. Thank you for soon answer.

perkelekurat
Ear training freshman

Post by perkelekurat » Oct 08, 2017 4:42 am

Hello. My problem with High Sierra looks more specific. I've bought Earmaster Pro 6 via App Store for Mac 1.5 years ago. I tried Earmaster Pro 7 BETA from your website, but it requires a license in most of the lessons. I used this program regularly but now I simply can't. The option with system downgrade is not actually an option for me. :evil:

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 10, 2017 1:28 am

If you already upgraded your Mac to 10.13, please get in touch by email to support@earmaster.com so that we may help you get access to EarMaster until a compatible version is avaialble.

mikesmithson
Ear training apprentice

Post by mikesmithson » Nov 12, 2017 5:57 pm

That is utterly ridiculous that people who have High Sierra have to wait until version 7 is released. Why don't you just patch the 6.X version and release that in the meantime?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Nov 15, 2017 2:00 am

I understand your frustration, but believe me if we could patch version 6, we would. We have a history of respecting our users and giving a lot for free (free updates, hybrid PC/Mac licenses, support for 15 year old versions, free license backup, etc.). There are simply too many things that broke with 10.13, it would require a rewrite of the software, which version 7 is. If you bought EarMaster 6 after May 1, the upgrade is free. If you bought it before that, the upgrade is discounted to half the price of a regular license. We're doing our best to keep prices low while increasing content quality, so I hope the 10.13 isn't completely overshadowing that.