vocal range setting affecting all exercises

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

chameleon
Ear training expert

vocal range setting affecting all exercises

Post by chameleon » Oct 15, 2020 4:25 am

Hello earmaster team,
first of all thanks for your work, it's helping me a lot to improve my ear :)
There are some minor problems I noticed that I want to share with you, so you can take into consideration to even improve your product:

I noticed the vocal range setting also affects the listening exercises. My vocal range is not so great, roughly F2-F4. That makes exercises like interval recognition too easy, because it will not play higher notes. I get an adequate diffliculty, if I set vocal range to guitar or piano, but on the other hand, it makes singing exercises impossible.
I started working on interval singing exercise a lot lately, and obviously, if earmaster plays a C5, it's impossible for me to sing a perfect 5th above.
It's annoying having to constantly change vocal range setting if I want to singing and listening exercises. Is there a fix for this?

Best regards, Franz

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: vocal range setting affecting all exercises

Post by Quentin » Oct 16, 2020 12:56 am

Hi Franz,

Thanks for your feedback. Actually in most exercises that don't involve singing, the pitch range isn't linked to your vocal range, but it might depend on the exercise. For example in General Workshops-->Interval ID, the exercises adapt to your vocal range , but they don't in Chord ID and Scale ID. In which exercise are you experiencing this problem?

Notice that for all singing exercise, you are free to sing in any octave you want, so if a question is too high for your voice, you can sing it an octave lower and EarMaster will accept that as a correct answer.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

chameleon
Ear training expert

Post by chameleon » Oct 18, 2020 2:12 am

Hello Quentin,
yes it was exactly in Interval ID that I experienced this problem. It might be useful if you let the user set the diffliculty of that exercise by chosing either small range (vocal range) or large range (piano). May I ask what was your reasoning in setting the range of this exercise according to the set vocal range?

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » Oct 19, 2020 7:42 am

chameleon wrote:
Oct 18, 2020 2:12 am
May I ask what was your reasoning in setting the range of this exercise according to the set vocal range?
It is very common practice ear training by singing the tones. This is a great way to work the intervals into your mind and musical ear. That is why the intervals are adapted to your vocal range.
In singing exercises you can always giver your answer in any octave that you prefer. This means it is not a problem to set a large "vocal range" to increase the difficulty, because your can still sing your answer within your own vocal range.