melodic minor on descending scale identifcation

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

chameleon
Ear training expert

melodic minor on descending scale identifcation

Post by chameleon » Oct 28, 2020 3:19 am

Hello,
I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but you never get to hear melodic minor and whenever you select melodic minor on descending scale identification exercise, it automatically switches to aeolian. In contrast, the modes of melodic minor work fine descending, when I make a custom exercise.
I know this is probably because in classical theory you are not supposed to use descending melodic minor, but in jazz you are, and preparing for exams in music schools jazz departement, I need to be able to recognize descending melodic minor as well.
Is there any way you could help me?
All the best,
Franz

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: melodic minor on descending scale identifcation

Post by Quentin » Oct 29, 2020 3:14 am

Hi Franz,

EarMaster will always play a descending natural minor scale when the exercise is about a descending melodic minor scale, as
common practice commands.

However you can force the software to play the same notes as those of the ascending melodic minor scale in descending order by adding a custom scale defined exactly as the melodic minor scale (with A as root) but named slightly differently (for example Melodic Minor 2). Then EarMaster's algorithm will treat that new melodic scale as any other scale and play the exact same notes in ascending and descending order.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

chameleon
Ear training expert

Post by chameleon » Oct 30, 2020 4:18 am

Nice, thanks a lot for that work-around! That was extremely helpful

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 30, 2020 5:58 am

Glad we found a solution :)
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -