No sound

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

ssteve
Ear training rookie

No sound

Post by ssteve » May 16, 2008 9:32 am

I have installed EarMaster on my laptop, a Lenovo X60 tablet.The computer uses Vista business.
The program does not produce sound on the laptop with either the mouse or the pen as pointers.
I have also installed the program on my desktop and do not have any problem. The desktop has XP.
The settings in the program settings are identical on both computers.
Would appreciate your wisdom in helping me to be able to use EarMaster on my laptop.
Thank you.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » May 19, 2008 1:46 am

Hello,
Is there sound when you play the questions? If yes, then activate the "Play note on click" function ("Exercise Settings" menu) to have the program play the tones you click on.

If there is absolutely no sound in EarMaster, start checking if MIDI is working in Vista: Find a MIDI file (.mid) and have it be played by windows media Player. If there is no sound, it means your MIDI configuration isn't set up correctly.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

bobskin
Ear training rookie

Post by bobskin » Oct 30, 2008 2:30 am

Regarding no sound in Vista I have a simlar issue.

I have installed Earmaster on Vista 32bit Home Premium and it appears that within Vista there are no default sound Midi Drivers.

An identical PC with XP installed does have Midi drivers and Earmaster works fine.

Reading the Microsoft support pages is appears that Microsoft in their wisdom have removed MIDI functionality from Vista.

This is maybe not so much a question for Earmaster but how do I add MIDI drivers for sound on an 'Realtec Advanced Audio Sound Card' to support the application.

Otherwise sound is fine on the PC and within earmaster warning sounds for errors etc can be heard clearly.

Has anyone come across this issue???

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 30, 2008 3:05 am

Hello,
There is a default MIDI sound driver in Vista. The thing missing is that the user can only change the MIDI software synth by editing the registry, which is difficult and risky. This means that there isn't any user interface to choose between different MIDI drivers like it was in the previous versions of Windows. :-(

bobskin
Ear training rookie

Post by bobskin » Oct 30, 2008 7:05 am

If there is a default MIDI driver in Vista why does Earmaster not pick it up.

When you go into the Earmaster settings the MIDI drop down selection for sound is empty.

I have Finale 5 running the PC and it picks up a default MIDI Driver, I assumed previously that Finale had added its own. This therefore may not be the case.

Still trying to figure ot how to get earmaster MIDI sound output working on Vista.

Help.........

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 31, 2008 1:31 am

I've asked Hans to have a look at it, but it seems hard to explain, as EarMaster has always worked fine with Vista from the start on our computers...
What is the MIDI driver Finale uses on your computer? (what is it called?)
thanks

bobskin
Ear training rookie

Post by bobskin » Oct 31, 2008 5:29 am

Quentin

Thanks for looking at this but I have managed to resolve the problem.

The story

When I reported the problem I had updated the Realtek High Definition Audio drivers for Vista 32bit (Ver 6.0.1.5334) direct from the Realtek site so I assumed my drivers were up to date.

What I have done today is I have downloaded the Realtek Drivers from the PC manufactures site, in this case Acer.

The interesting part is that although Acer state it is updated Realtek Drivers for Audio when the PC re-booted all references to Realtek has been removed including the Realtek Audio configuration from the Control Panel and the PC is now configured with Microsoft High Definition Audio Drivers ver 6.0.6000.16306.

It appears that Acer have found problems with the Realtek Drivers and replaced these with Microsoft.

Hope this helps

jmathesonjr
Ear training rookie

No sound

Post by jmathesonjr » Mar 15, 2009 6:51 pm

I have EarMaster 5. I recently downloaded it after playing the trial mode.

I have it hooked up to my MIDI keyboard through a USB device connection. Sometimes the MIDI works and sometimes it does not. I was working with the program and got three questions into the exercise and the MIDI quite responding. It worked great for three questions. I have gone through multiple levels with the MIDI working great yesterday and the day before, but today I cannot get it to work.

What is wrong?

Normann
EarMaster.com

Post by Normann » Mar 16, 2009 1:28 am

Hi,

What platform are you running EarMaster? (Mac OS X or Win32)

And is it on MIDI in or out you're experiencing problems? And do you experience similar problems with other programs using the MIDI?

And what kind of USB interface do you have?

Best regards,
Normann

jmathesonjr
Ear training rookie

no sound

Post by jmathesonjr » Mar 16, 2009 9:20 am

I am running Windows XP. I am having problems only with this program on the MIDI In and Out. Nothing will go into EarMaster and nothing will come out of EarMaster through the MIDI. Finale and some other programs I have that I run MIDI through are working perfectly.

MyUSB interface is an M-Audio I believe. It has MIDI In and Out plugs connected to a USB connection.

jmathesonjr
Ear training rookie

No Sound

Post by jmathesonjr » Mar 16, 2009 9:38 am

I just tried it and it is back to working. I did nothing to the computer other than start it.

I do not get this.

kustas666
Ear training freshman

Post by kustas666 » Jul 29, 2009 12:27 am

I'm using Win XP, SP3. My sound cart is TC Electronic Konnekt 8 (FireWire). As i understand, my soun card doesn't have iternal midi sound, thus i hear only audio (lets say for correct answer) files. Is it possible to solve this problem, or do i need to look for another program..?

Ok, i've downloaded Midi yoke (virtual cable) and conected it to a software synth (i'm using N.I. Bandstand). The problem is, taht i don't hear the first sound: in interval comparison there is two notes in variant "A" and two in variant "B". i hear one note in variant "A" and two notes in variant "B". Question: is it a problem with my sof. synth or some kind of DEMO limitations..???? Can pls recomend a software synth, taht is 100% compatable with EM5 ???

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jul 29, 2009 6:56 am

Hi,
I guess It'll work fine with Kore Player, also by N.I. (It's free and sounds very good :-D ), or any other stand-alone softsynth.

I have tried Kore Player through MIDI Yoke on XP and it works fine.

In the interval exercise, make sure A is not "Unison" (in which case it might sound like one single tone)

Let me know how it works out.

Quentin

vincenizzzle
Ear training rookie

Post by vincenizzzle » Sep 13, 2009 12:56 pm

quentin, i am having a similar issue. in the program settings under the midi devices tab there is no option for a midi in or a midi out. i am using windows vista 64bit. i also notice that when earmaster starts up i can hear the intro harmony and also when i click if an answer is wrong or right it makes a sound. it just wont play the notes during the lessons. i also tried playing a midi file in the media player but it gave me an error message. how can i configure the midi correctly?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Sep 14, 2009 1:11 am

It seems there is no MIDI installed/enabled on your computer.

You could either ask Microsoft how to enable MIDI sound output in Vista64,
or you could try the alternative mentioned above: download and installed MIDI Yoke (MIDI routing) as well as a standalone Softsynth (like Kore Player or something lighter), set them up together and choose MIDI yoke as a MIDI out device in EarMaster.

Best regards,
Quentin