EarMaster Wishlist thread

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Post by saxmaam » Oct 06, 2011 4:57 am

Quentin wrote:NUM 0 is toggling between note and rest of equal value. Unless you were referring to toggling note/rest after a value has been inserted, in which case however I am not sure how that could be implemented as there is no cursor to specify a space on the staff.
Doesn't the mouse move the "cursor" to specify a space on the staff? Maybe cursor isn't the right word. I have to use the mouse to place a note, and I have to use the mouse to use the eraser (and I have to place the indicator very exactly to use the eraser). What I'd like to do is use the mouse to select an already inserted note and then press a key (say the * key) to change it to its opposite (rest or note).

I appreciate your consideration. EarMaster is such cool software.

Susan

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 06, 2011 6:39 am

Ok, I understand what you meant now. Unfortunately, this is not possible in EarMaster 5. What you can do however is inserting a note, then using NUM - to switch to the eraser and finally NUM 0 to switch to rests.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Post by saxmaam » Oct 06, 2011 6:43 am

Quentin wrote:Ok, I understand what you meant now. Unfortunately, this is not possible in EarMaster 5. What you can do however is inserting a note, then using NUM - to switch to the eraser and finally NUM 0 to switch to rests.
Yeah, I've got that. Do you think the toggle could be included in EarMaster 6? That would be a nice addition.

Susan

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 06, 2011 7:19 am

I have notified the developers of your suggestion. :-)

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Post by saxmaam » Oct 07, 2011 4:21 am

I'd like to request that the metronome be customizable so that there is only one beat per bar. In that case a good metronome lead-in for 4/4 would be four quarter notes, a whole note, and then on to the exercise.

I got this idea because I've used a book called "the Big Metronome." It helps you develop a sense of time on a bigger scale than the beat.

Thanks,

Saxmaam

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Chord Progressions Option

Post by saxmaam » Oct 18, 2011 4:11 am

I'd like to be able to have a custom chord progression consisting of 1 chord. The idea would be to be able to relate it to the tonic that was established just before the exercise. Do you think that could be supported in EM6? I tried to set this up in EM5, but the choices are 0,2,3 ... 8.

Thanks,

Saxmaam

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 24, 2011 1:25 am

Posted by Saxmaam:

"I've gotten to the point in rhythm reading where some of the problems are difficult. It is helpful to have EM "Play the Question" for me. My request is a button I could push to have the correct playback repeatedly loop until I push the button again. Then I could practice tapping along on the desk to get the rhythm ingrained in my mind.

This wouldn't need to be part of the tutor, just the custom exercise."

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Rhythm Reading Fantasy?

Post by saxmaam » Oct 30, 2011 5:36 am

Maybe this is an unrealistic suggestion, but what if EarMaster could keep a little library or playlist of "questions" that a user has trouble with? Then the user could review those specific questions on a regular basis and take them off the list when she wants to. Simplest implementation would be "add this question to my trouble list" and "remove this question from my trouble list".

I know it varies from your current interface, but I suggest that this would take EM to the next level of usefulness. What you do you think?

I'm specifically thinking about rhythm reading, where it can take quite a few questions to randomly create a "gem" that is hard to play. But it would be helpful for other modules, too.

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Melodic Dictation Wish

Post by saxmaam » Oct 31, 2011 4:37 am

A sight singing book I work with presents "melodies" that aren't in a particular key, but they have a limited set of intervals between successive notes. For example, all the intervals are either m2 or M2. Can this be done in EM5 (I don't think so)?

If not, could it be added to EM6?

Thanks, Saxmaam

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Nov 01, 2011 1:28 am

Hi, Thanks a lot again for all your suggestions. You can define the largest interval between two notes with the Melodic Dictation exercise in Customized training mode.

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Post by saxmaam » Nov 01, 2011 3:32 am

Ah, thanks. So that covers some of what I was asking for.

SaxMaam

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Interval Singing

Post by saxmaam » Nov 04, 2011 6:20 am

In the interval singing exercise, could you please report the pitch error in cents after the answer is checked? I can see it on the tuner, but the problem with that is that seeing the tuner causes me to alter my pitch. I want a report of my "blind" pitch error. That is, I want to cover up the tuner while I'm singing the pitch, and then find out how bad it was.

frankwrang
Ear training rookie

Post by frankwrang » Dec 22, 2011 6:49 am

Hi there,

Tried out your software, and like it a lot! Will buy it once v6 is out. Are you considering putting it also on the Mac AppStore? I know Apple takes a cut, but I really like having all my purchases in one place and backed up. While at it, iPhone version would be awesome! You know, not sitting behind a computer for once...

3 workflow suggestions:
• What about custom keyboard shortcuts? In stead of 'a', 'b' & 'space' I would love being able to use just 3 keys next to each other, eg b, n & m for in stance.
• on option to disable all pop-ups after an excersise if you scored higher than say 60% and just auto-advance to the next. Once you have used the program for a few days, you know the excersises. Having to press twice after an excersise ( total score, plus suggested follow up) seems a bit unnecessary. You just want to go to the following excersise while seeing the score you had, plus showing the name of the new excersise.
• more tracking info, like daily scores also, not only the highest one, maybe in a week/monthgraph.

Regards,

Frank

frankwrang
Ear training rookie

Post by frankwrang » Dec 22, 2011 8:01 am

Additional to the auto-advance, if the score is lower than say 60% it automatically repeats the same excersise without showing a modal dialog window.

Another suggestion: what about an option to reverse the question in interval comparison? Instead of which interval is greater, do the excersise guessing which interval is smaller. Or maybe in an excersise at random, eg smaller or greater? It sounds funny, but it might keep it fresh and enhance listen to both directions more.

What about a simple pause button?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Dec 27, 2011 2:49 am

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your suggestions! We already had some of them, such as the "Pause" function, but we love customer feedback, as it really helps us point out areas that need to be improved.